Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Benefits of adjustable rig and spider?

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,700
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Im thinking about buying whats in the title.. But im having a hard convincing myself of what i would do with it all.. Besides largr cooks for lots of people on get togethers.

Advice?

Pictures would be awesome
·

Comments

• JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    Adjustable Rig is pretty much for getting more grid space, more meat in the BGE. So if you don't need "larger cooks" then you don't need to waste money on that. It serves another purpose in that it serves as a "raised grid", but there are many different and far cheaper ways to achieve that. 

Now, the Spider is good because (along with a stone and Cast Iron grid) you can do a few different things. It allows you to cook right over the charcoal for some serious searing with the CI grate. Or it serves as a platesetter with the stone for indirect cooks. This is a good option instead of the BGE platesetter since it's multifunctional. It also serves as a Wok adapter which is freaking awesome. I got the AR with the Spider, sliding grids, stone and extender. Cost a fortune but I have the option to cook damn near anything. Here's a pic with the Wok and one with the sliding grids. Also one with just the spider and CI grid searing some small lobster tails.  
    IMG_1216.jpg
    1936 x 2592 - 2M
    IMG_1545.jpg
    1936 x 2592 - 2M
    IMG_1081.jpg
    1936 x 2592 - 1M
    IMG_1550.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,700
    Thanks. I bought a grid extender that was made for another ceramic cooker. So adding more soace like that is no biggie. But the spider seems like a good idea for searing and wok. More to think about
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    I just got mine last week, so only 1 cook using it.
    For me its about having room for meat and veggies without having to move everything around.
    The spider will be for the wok.

I put mine over a cast iron gird. Did the veggies in 2 layers, then roasted the steak on the AR, then removed the AR, and seared down low to complete.
    It's about options for me. More room, more food cooked on it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    too many to list. It's so good I'm surprised BGE themselves hasn't tried to steal/copy/buy it from tom. Raised direct cooking, multi level cooking. It gives you all the options you need and lets you be a lot more creative. pizzas high up in the dome(i use the 13 inch stone, on top of 2 firebricks on top of the top level of the AR) have got to be my all time favorite.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,277
    JerkChicken, tazcrash and xrapyap23......Wow, what great comments.  Ya'll made my day!  Think I'm gonna pop a cold one and watch the smoke roll out the XL. I'm Q'n 6 racks bbacks!  Thanks for posting......

tom  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,700
    Can you make kettle korn in a wok? How so?
    ·
    JerkChicken, tazcrash and xrapyap23......Wow, what great comments.  Ya'll made my day!  Think I'm gonna pop a cold one and watch the smoke roll out the XL. I'm Q'n 6 racks bbacks!  Thanks for posting......

tom  
    Thank you Tom you do good work....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186

I have an adjustable rig with spider. I use it for more than just when I want to cook a lot of food at the same time. To hold a drip pan or cook indirect.I also have a plate setter. i use them both.I use the plate setter mostly with a pizza stone.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010007.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010121.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010092-1.jpg

Spider

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010115.jpg

searing a steak using small BGE CI grate

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010007-7.jpg

with wok

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/wings55_album/P1010035-1.jpg

·
    Can you make kettle korn in a wok? How so?
    Don't know about on the Wok, but you can using foil right on the grill if you were inclined. 
    ·
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,186
    I suppodse you could cook kettle corn in a wok.Never tried it.Try it and post pics and results.
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,220
    Spider on a large with small cast iron grid is the best thing ever to sear steaks! No need to go to nuclear temps... 15-20 minutes pre-heating @ 500-550 and you are good to go. Perfect sear marks on the steaks and charcoal taste is just great - best steaks ever and super fast. 90 seconds per side then rest for 6 minutes and then 30 more seconds per side just before serving. Perfect medium rare everytime!

I have yet to try the wok but it looks like a good setup.

The PSWoo2 was a better option than the AR for me but I was lucky enough to order one of the last few woo extenders. The fact that you can use the BGE platesetter with the PSWoo2 is brilliant... And the handles to move everything, even better!

tom  
    @tjv Not to blow too much applewood smoke somewhere, but you make a quality product, and it makes my cooking easier. Worth every cent so far.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·