Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket: wrapping in foil?

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many people suggest wrapping brisket in foil at about 180° and then cooking to 190°-200°. Why is this done? My briskets have always been moist without the foil.[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Julie

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    J Appledog,
    ive done it with chuck roast, it comes out pullable, not for slicing. dont know what happens with brisket that way. mine are moist and tender just cooked til done at about 190 internal plus or minus. they do tend to dry out after slicing, but now i add a mixture of broth honey and bbq sauce to the serving platter. dont know what they do at comps

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    Options
    J Appledog, For me its a habit I formed while using an offset smoker. I did it because the brisket usually had enough smoke by then and it helped with moisture retention. I probably would not have those problems with the egg, but old habits are hard to break. Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]I never wrap my briskets while cooking unless I'm pressed for time. I do wrap them after the cook if they're going to sit a while before serving, just to keep them warm. From what I understand most folks wrap them for one of two reasons. They either do it to shorten the cook, or they do it to keep the meat moist for whatever reason. If you don't foil and you don't cook them right, then the brisket can be really tough and dry, but if you cook them right there should be no need for foil at all. LOG and I finished 3rd in brisket out of twelve teams last weekend at the Peters Pond competition and we did not wrap our brisket. The trick is to know how to cook it and more importantly, when to pull it off the egg.[p]TUS