Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt Rubs?

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,719
edited March 2012 in Pork

Yo doods, im doing my first pork butt on the Egg with a PartyQ. Do any of you guys have a Rub recipe? In general its cheaper to make a rub vs. buy a rub. So any advice would be fantastic.

Also Vegetable oil? or Mustard(honey, dijon, standard?

thanks doods.

·

Comments

• Ottawa_EggmanOttawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    edited March 2012
    This what I have used
    • 4 heaping tbsp brown sugar

• 4 heaping tbsp paprika

• 2 heaping tbsp garlic powder

• 2 heaping tbsp onion powder

• 2 heaping tbsp ground pepper

• 2 heaping tbsp fine salt

• 2 heaping tbsp ground cumin

• 2 heaping tbsp ground coriander

• 2 heaping tbsp dried oregano
    ·
  • Should i apply that over mustard or oil?

whats some good chips to use? Maple, hickory, jack daniels?

·
  • edited March 2012
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub or Dizzy Pig Rubs. Use mustard. Pecan wood is fantastic. I like chunks over chips on low and slow cooks. Best of luck.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,666
    I used to make my own butt rub until I found Bad Byrons. Haven't look back since.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Love bad Byron's and Dizzy pig. I pretty much only use Dizzy now but Bad Byron's is real good and more accessible. I don't like using any kind of oil as a binder because it's hard to get a good crust (it does not evaporate during the cook so the rub stays wet. Mustard is good if you use anything at all. Does not matter which kind, you can't taste it after the cook. I just put the rub right on the meat and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. The moisture in the meat makes a it a nice paste and an awesome bark when the cook is done.

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,044
    Butt Rub.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Since I'm cooking it this Saturday... I can't get dizzys rub. Is bad Byron available at safeway, target, or walmart?
    ·
  • Nevermind I found a local retailer from there website.
    Thanks for all the help ill post a pic after its completed:-)
    ·
  • My first butt is officially cooking. I used famous daves rib rub, sprinkled a apple cider and vinegar mix on it. Partyq is set to 245 and I hope the 7lb butt will be done by dinner time tomorrow
    ·
  • Bad Byron's Butt Rub or Dizzy Pig Rubs. Use mustard. Pecan wood is fantastic. Best of luck.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

·
  • llrickmanllrickman Posts: 509
    Its hard to beat Bad Byrons Butt Rub i love the way my butts turn out with it.  if you can find a can of Bad Byrons Butt Rub peanuts  they are a great snack
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
    ·
  • EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
    Bad Byrons is pretty good, but I have to say 3 Beer rub if you can get it.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
    ·
  • trin98trin98 Posts: 3

(Courtesy of Virtualweberbullet.com)

1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup non-iodized table salt
    1/8 cup brown sugar, dried
    4 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon onion powder

Spread the brown sugar out on a cookie sheet and let it dry at room temperature for several hours, or place it is a slightly warm oven. Once dried, place brown sugar in a Ziploc bag and break up any clumps using a rolling pin or the bottom of a drinking glass.

*******************************************************************************************************************

I use this rub for all smoked pork, and it's great on chicken too! I've modified this recipe and use 4 times the amount of chilli powder, and twice the amount of cayenne pepper. It gives it a little extra kick, but not too much.

Sprinkle a generous amount over the shoulder, tightly wrap with plastic or place in a ziplock bag and store in the fridge over night. Take it out about an hour before going on the egg and rub it with yellow mustard (cheapest you can find since you're not using it for flavor). Then sprinkle more rub all over it before it goes into the egg.

XL BGE, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Luxor 50" Built In
    ·
  • koeckerkoecker Posts: 1
    I use
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup Lawry's season salt
    1 tbls cummin
    1 tbls dry mustard
    1 tbls granulated garlic
    1/2 tbls red pepper flakes
    2 tbls Montreal Steak Seasoning

All measurement approx.  usually just dump and taste.  Never had a complaint.  Great for ribs and butts.  Use pretty much the same for briskets but skip the sugar.  Happy Egging!!
    ·