Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Getting Close - Which Temp?

TexAg87
TexAg87 Posts: 22
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Making a brisket to serve to some friends this afternoon.

Rubbed and Ready!

Sweet evening smoke.

Mopped and getting close to foil time.

Temperature control is driving me a little nuts. I'll get it stable at 230 deg for an hour or so, go sleep for four hours, and come back to find the pit at 160. There is plenty of lump in the fire box. I'd welcome any pointers on getting it more stable over a long period. Is the XL typically considered to be trickier to lock in than the L?

Happy 4th, all!

Comments

• TexAg87
    Just checked it with the Thermapen. This is first low-n-slow I've done since I got it. I have internal temperatures ranging all the way from ~145 to ~175. Interestingly, the higher temps are on the point end, in the thickest part, and the lower temps are at the thin end of the flat. So, which temp should I go with?
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I don't know because I have a large.  I put brisket on at midnight with the Guru set at 225.  Got up at 8 am and it was sitting dead on 225 with temp of brisket at 160 
  • Totally normal. the point is full of fat and fat cooks way faster than muscle. Always take the temp the the thickest part of the FLAT or you will have some chewy brisket flat. The point will be done hours before the flat but will stay moist because of the fat content.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexAg87
    Totally normal. the point is full of fat and fat cooks way faster than muscle. Always take the temp the the thickest part of the FLAT or you will have some chewy brisket flat. The point will be done hours before the flat but will stay moist because of the fat content.
    Cool. I've really been flying blind the first couple of briskets I've done, so now learning to use the data from the Thermapen is a new wrinkle. (A welcome wrinkle.)

When you're putting a probe in a brisket, where do you place it? I angled it in from the side, trying to avoid the point and keep it in the middle of a thicker portion.
  • Totally normal. the point is full of fat and fat cooks way faster than muscle. Always take the temp the the thickest part of the FLAT or you will have some chewy brisket flat. The point will be done hours before the flat but will stay moist because of the fat content.
    Cool. I've really been flying blind the first couple of briskets I've done, so now learning to use the data from the Thermapen is a new wrinkle. (A welcome wrinkle.)

When you're putting a probe in a brisket, where do you place it? I angled it in from the side, trying to avoid the point and keep it in the middle of a thicker portion.
    That's the right spot. The thick part of the flat under the point (assuming you have the point on top).
  • TexAg87
    That's the right spot. The thick part of the flat under the point (assuming you have the point on top).
    Well, I don't have it beneath the point, but down the length of the brisket slightly from the point where the flat is still pretty thick. (The point is on top in the egg.) Do you try to get the probe in the flat beneath the point?
  • That's the right spot. The thick part of the flat under the point (assuming you have the point on top).
    Well, I don't have it beneath the point, but down the length of the brisket slightly from the point where the flat is still pretty thick. (The point is on top in the egg.) Do you try to get the probe in the flat beneath the point?
    you are good. You just want it to slide in and out like butter in a few thick parts of that flat. temp should be around 190-195 at that point