Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here goes the 1st low and slow pork butts!!

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Ok temp is now 173 on the probe, did I sleep through the stall or is it still coming?
    Stall is coming. You will know, it will drop a little most likely.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    @JWBurns

"I thought the boiling point is 212... So the temp gauge should read the same, true?"

You are correct that is what I get for posting before coffee! ;-? oops
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    Lizzie! Yep too much for me to drink and I slept like a lump of coal, lol. My intentions were to check in here overnight. I did have my temps stable for almost 2 hours with my Woo and Placesetter before putting the butts in. I figure it was a random issue with the path the fire took through my lump...
    Anyway, my fresh lump is in, the dome is 255 and rising slowly. The butts looked amazing when I took them off to add more lump. Sorry, no pics yet because I wanted that process to be fast.

Is it too early (7:30 here in Seattle) to start drinking? I could use a strong one from just the stress of the last hour and a half trying to sort out my issues.

I threw in some more pecan chunks just to wake the neighborhood up a bit :-)
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • michigan_jason
    Lizzie! Yep too much for me to drink and I slept like a lump of coal, lol. My intentions were to check in here overnight. I did have my temps stable for almost 2 hours with my Woo and Placesetter before putting the butts in. I figure it was a random issue with the path the fire took through my lump...
    Anyway, my fresh lump is in, the dome is 255 and rising slowly. The butts looked amazing when I took them off to add more lump. Sorry, no pics yet because I wanted that process to be fast.

Is it too early (7:30 here in Seattle) to start drinking? I could use a strong one from just the stress of the last hour and a half trying to sort out my issues.

I threw in some more pecan chunks just to wake the neighborhood up a bit :-)
    Today is a holiday! Pour me one too! Cheers.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    It's a holiday never too early!  
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Ok temp is now 173 on the probe, did I sleep through the stall or is it still coming?
    Stall is coming. You will know, it will drop a little most likely.
    IF you have a stall... Probably didn't happen yet. Stalls are typical around 160, but I've seen them around 180 too. Heck, I've seen briskets stall twice -- 160ish and 190ish. Because of this uncertainty, I have no problem cooking butts a day or two before, and vacuum seal them. Hey, you're doing great. Bloody Mary time it is...
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Another one of those "who knows question". I hve had them stall anywhere from 140 all the way up to 185. The majority though, typically stall for me somewhere in the upper 170's.
  • Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    . Looking good. See that was not that hard. I'm sure you are very happy with the twins, lol.

• michigan_jason
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    . Looking good. See that was not that hard. I'm sure you are very happy with the twins, lol.

This is going in a bad direction... lol :)

• LizzieSamps
    LOL, yes I am can't wait to see em when ready to come off.
  • Pull when done - FOIL, wrap in Towel, place in cooler - it will stay HOT until you are ready to pull.

Should there be ice in the cooler? Hope its not too dumb of a question but I have always wondered this

no! The cooler is to keep it WARM for hours. No ice
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Moved the probe temp is going down 159. oh no!! :( So should I foil them and bring temp up? Was supposed to bring to a lunch get together. Looks like I will be pushing that back. Sorry folks but I'm new at this, shut up and eat your amazing pork! :)

Here's what they look like now not as much bark as you all get. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Moved the probe temp is going down 159. oh no!! :( So should I foil them and bring temp up? Was supposed to bring to a lunch get together. Looks like I will be pushing that back. Sorry folks but I'm new at this, shut up and eat your amazing pork! :)

Here's what they look like now not as much bark as you all get. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

You can bump up the temp to push them through for lunch. next time, more rub will = more bark. A higher temp will add more bark so go ahead and bump up to 300-325 to finish them off. If you foil, the bark you have will soften. I don't like to foil unless absolutely necessary.
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok, bringing it up,  Thanks!  MUAH to everyone!! :-*
  • Ok, bringing it up,  Thanks!  MUAH to everyone!! :-*

make sure to save a care package for your buddy at the grocery store :))

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    edited July 2012
    Ok, bringing it up,  Thanks!  MUAH to everyone!! :-*

BTW-for future reference the meat temperature during the stall/plateau can and most  often does drop on it's own.  So that is nothing to get excited over.  Matter-of-fact here is a great read on pulled pork-talks about stalls, "Texas Crutch" (use of foil) and lots of other good pieces of info:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html Sounds like time for more lime and beer

:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    I think we are sharing the same thoughts, got it right here in the last few minutes.  It's getting hot out here so gotta cool down somehow right!  

Going to check out the link now, thanks!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Looking good Lizzie! I have no idea what mine look like, I haven't lifted my dome yet.
  • LizzieSamps
    I am starting to panic like all newbies.  Dreading to make the call it is noon, the parade is over and I am no where near done.  temp is up at 315-325 now hopefully that will speed it up.  I don't want to show up later than 2, do you think I have a chance at all for that.  
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Here's a link to Whiz's Thermometer calibration page. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm/#calibrate

He takes into consideration elevation or barametric pressure. Based on my elevation my boiling point is 210.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • I am starting to panic like all newbies.  Dreading to make the call it is noon, the parade is over and I am no where near done.  temp is up at 315-325 now hopefully that will speed it up.  I don't want to show up later than 2, do you think I have a chance at all for that.  

Yep- time for that mudlside :). Chill, they will be done fairly soon at that temp. Better to show up at 2:30 with the good stuff than 1:30 appologizing that it's not perfect. You've done the work, drank the beer, and now it's time to delver the goods. You are very close. Don't panic over an arbitrary timeline. All will be forgiven when you show up with the good stuff. Should be done before then anyway but stay the course. As Cap likes to say: "Patience is the watchword" (my watchword is actually "bourbon", but that's a whole other story).

You are close! hang in there for another hour or so and you'll be good
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited July 2012
    Lizzie, if you need to rush the finish, wrap the butts in foil (leave the temp probe in) and turn the egg up to 350. They will still taste awesome, but the bark will be a little softer. Some people add some apple juice, but I usually skip that step. Then once they hit temp wrap in a towel and toss into a cooler.

But I agree with CenTex, don't freak out yet!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • LizzieSamps
    I broke down and put foil on them, also checked probe temp in several spots.  One was 165 another 175,  I take the 175.  I have to transport them and will use the FTC.  Made the call that meat is not coming till around 2 or 2:30 sorry!  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Just another adventure on the BGE journey-no need to get wound up about it-just a data point on the learning curve.  Let us know how it turns out-I'm bettin it's better than "all good".
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    We did!!! Just pulled them off the egg, got them FTC'd and off! Once pulled I will snap another photo very proud of what they turned out like. Good looking twins for sure! Worth the wait!!Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great looking bark. Enjoy!
    booksw Posts: 470
    Looks great Lizzie!  Enjoy the feast!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Congrats!! Enjoy. Good looking results

XLBGE 
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Wow looks like slap your momma good! Very nice bark. Congrats.  :-bd
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @LizzieSamps you did something everyone does when they are starting and that is they try to time it to be done at an exact time.  Low and slow cooks don't work that way, as the saying goes "it's done when it's done".  But the BBQ Gods, in their infinite wisdom, said "hey, get it done 2 or 3 hours early, we don't care".

I've held pork butts for 5 hours with FTC and they were perfect.

Also, at 225 dome you were cooking at about 200 on the grid.