Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt high heat ribeyes

booksw
booksw Posts: 470
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking on the Egg for a couple of months and have made a lot of different things and I LOVE it- seems like it is hard to ruin anything!  One thing amazing about it is how hot it can get and stay hot but I haven't really cooked yet on the other side of the temp guage.  Any suggestions for how to do a high heat ribeye?  
Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Search for TRex method.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    How thick are they?
    If over 1.5" check out Trex or reverse Trex.
    I just did some t-bones, and got by with just a straight seer.
    Just remember to pull it off a little early. High temps will produce some carry over cooking.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • booksw
    I read the Trex- thanks for pointing me in that direction!  My steaks are only 1" thick.  Do you think I should try it anyway?  Also, he says to use olive oil on the steaks- I am concerned about the smoke point of even pure olive oil but maybe I shouldn't be (part of the point is to char the steak)?  I wonder what the smoke point is of cow fat
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    One other thing- I have always avoided sticking forks or other things into steaks as he says it lets juice escape- doesn't the same problem occur with the thermopen?  Why is that less of an issue?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    One other thing- I have always avoided sticking forks or other things into steaks as he says it lets juice escape- doesn't the same problem occur with the thermopen?  Why is that less of an issue?
    Minimal juice loss with Pen. More important to get an accurate read on temp. I'd google the olive oil issue, personally would skip it. Prob won't make a difference.
  • booksw
    I bit the bullet even though my Costco ribeye is only an inch thick- I figure I can learn something from this no matter how it goes- right?  So far I think it is OK.  I am on the Trex part now where we are waiting 20 minutes. I used pure olive oil, salt, and pepper and I used what looked to me to be the hottest (glowiest and flamiest) part of the grill and timed it at 90 seconds a side- open dome (after getting the dome temp up to 700 degrees).  I am going to attempt to upload some pics...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • tazcrash
    FWIW, i don't use any oil on my steaks. I sear too high, and it burns.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Skip the olive oil.  Sea salt and black pepper. Sear, roast, rest. Enjoy
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Didn't mean to lead you down the wrong path. I haven't ever used oil on my steaks. I think the TRex cooking method works well.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • booksw
    not sure if you all could see the pics before?  I went back and forth about the oil but decided to go straight TRex and then improvise from there.  Honestly, the first word out of my husbands (full) mouth was "Wow." This was the best steak either of us have ever had- "how steak is done" (remember that commercial?).
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Didn't mean to lead you down the wrong path.
    Hi54putty- you led me down the RIGHT path.  Thank you!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Booksw That steak looks great nice job! 
  • booksw
    Thank you Rich_ie!  It will be a tough act to follow- but I can't wait to try!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    Looks great! I'm glad your husband rewarded your effort with a great compliment.

My 1st attempt at steak was for my wife and her parents. My father in law normally eats half his steak, but he crushed a 14 oz new York strip and raved about it the entire time. We debated going out prior to me grilling and he commented that that was a better meal than we could have paid for anywhere. As you said, tough act to follow...but he's now a believer and will likely get a egg for our lake house.

I wish my wife egged steaks for me so props to you and your lucky hubby.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Oh I also don't use oil on my steak. As tweev said, if I'm going to add fat to my steak, I do so only to add flavor. With that, I make garlic butter balls and put one on each steak during rest. We love the added flavor!
  • booksw
    Thanks cazzy!  I am afraid to change anything- it was that good.  In fact, I told my husband that maybe I should never make another ribeye- it can only be downhill from this one  ;) 
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • tazcrash
    :D
    That is a great looking steak!
    Glad it worked.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Not to be dense, but what is the reference to "trex"? Is it a person's screen name or a cooking method?

Thanks.
    LBGE
  • booksw
    Hi DocWonmug- you aren't dense- when I first asked the question about high heat ribeye, I was pointed to a page on the Naked Whiz's website with the TRex technique: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm/  That led to a bit of discussion about the dos and don'ts but I decided to just go straight TRex and learn from it.  TRex says to use it for a steak that is at least 1.5"  Mine was 1"  He also says to use olive oil before you use salt and pepper- seems like a lot of folks here skip the olive oil step.  I used it (pure- not EVOO).
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    Oh I also don't use oil on my steak. As tweev said, if I'm going to add fat to my steak, I do so only to add flavor. With that, I make garlic butter balls and put one on each steak during rest. We love the added flavor!

How do you make these delicious sounding garlic butter balls?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012

How do you make these delicious sounding garlic butter balls?

Very simple.

I mix garlic powder into real butter (not margarine).  I then throw it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes so it's more workable.  I then roll em into nickel size balls in my palm and throw them in the fridge until the steaks are ready to rest.  I'm sure there is a tiny scoop out there that would make forming the ball much easier.

I hear some people add finely cut chives too.

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Congrats on what appears to be an awesome first ribeye cook!  I can't order steaks out anymore, at least not from any of the places near me.  The egg makes perfect steaks, as long as you just go by temp, so most places are just going to be a let down.  Now when we eat out, it's either because we are away from home, or we want something that we just don't make at home (sushi, etc).
  • booksw
    Thanks FxLynch- it was so good that I am hesitant to ever cook steak again.  How could it ever reach that height of goodness again???
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • That looks FANTASTIC! I had similar results with my first TREX too. Opened my eyes to a whole new level of cooking steaks.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    With thin steaks you can "hot Tub" them before putting them on the grill you can just do a high temp sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• booksw
    With thin steaks you can "hot Tub" them before putting them on the grill you can just do a high temp sear.
    what do you mean "hot tub" and what is the definition of thin?  My ribeyes were 1" which Naked Whiz says is thin but the TRex worked great.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs