Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

3rd of July -and we're underway for the 4th!

EldeElde Posts: 148
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
2220PST - and just loaded two seven and a half pound briskets in the Egg raised indirect at 250 dome.  They were rubbed with just a little Johhny's seasoning salt, and the Egg was loaded by Elder Ward's method with a mix of RO and BGE and a light sprinkling of hickory and Jack Daniel's oak chips through the load.

It's going to be a long night...  I've got the watch until 0300 or 0400 and then my buddy Chuck will get up in time to check on everything at 0600.  Hopefully, I've timed everything right and I'll be serving my guests some Lexington style barbeque about 1400 tomorrow.

Comments

• EldeElde Posts: 148
    0311PST  I've been having a bit of trouble maintaining temp, as we've been having variable winds all night...  But I've kept it mostly in the 250 range, so we're good.  But the last adjustment, I tapped the daisy a bit too hard and closed it too far and had to re-adjust by eye...  If somebody made a daisy with degree (of rotation) graduations, I'd seriously consider buying one.
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Put an 11 pound brisket on last night at about 10p last night, 250 dome with hickory chunks and it has been cruising at that temp all night. Rubbed it with some Texas Brisket rub and that is it.

You could always get a file and make your own graduations on the daisy wheel for reference.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    You could always get a file and make your own graduations on the daisy wheel for reference.
    With my eye-hand coordination?  I'd be just as accurate with a chain saw!   :-*

Anyhow, it's now 0830 - everything is fine so far, no signs of stall as the meat approaches 170...  My buddy got me up because he though the fuel was getting low.  (It isn't...  just the daisy wheel has had to creep open to maintain the temp for some reason.)

I wish I could post pics, but I'm having trouble creating a photobucket account.
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Understand that, got the bi-focals on this morning myself. should trade them for some goggles this afternoon...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    I spoke too soon...  the rate-of-rise of internal temp has markedly slowed on one butt, and the other has actually lost about 2 degrees.  The stall, she is late but she is coming.  It's 9am and with a planned pull time of 2pm, starting to consider when to foil.
    Ended up foiling and taking a nap, then pulling two hours later when the butt was at 195...  put it in a cooler until everyone got here.  Pulled it, added dip, and served it forth to much admiration.  For sides we had potato salad, green salad, barbeque slaw, and roast corn on the cob.  We were supposed to have beans, but they got forgot in the oven.

Tired, tired, tired - soon bedtime.