Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

New gasket

jllbmsjllbms Posts: 313
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Burned out the original gasket. Replaced it with a Nomex, but it's not a good seal. Smoke wafts around a foot bit ot the perimeter. So, not much I can do about it, unless carbon eventually seals it. My question -will this have any effect or is it cosmetic?

Thanks,

John
Long Beach, MS

Comments

• bvcbvc Posts: 35
    close lid, loosen band screws, adjust the lid so the seal is better, tighten screws enough so that you can open/close lid and use the dollar bill drag test around the lid adjusting until you have a better seal.  just did this with mine when replacing a way gone original felt gasket with the new nomex.  i now have a much better fit than before. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,157
    No it will not.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    bvc's recommendation should solve the problem.  If not, travis is right - it won't affect your cooks and a lot of folks go completely gasket-less with no issue.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,859
    I put the Nomex gasket on, which was thicker than the OEM felt and had to do what BVC outlined.  Loosen the band screws, adjust, tighten and then repeat until the dollar bill test showed even pressure around the circumference of the seal.  Took about 5 minutes to adjust (after 60 minutes of scraping the old gasket off and putting the new on...). 

• DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 225
    I'm new owner of an egg, but why not just use a replacement felt gasket from BGE? The original one I have seems to work fine. Why mess with it and use something different?
    LBGE
  • Serial GrillerSerial Griller Posts: 1,178

Doc,

if you do a lot of high temp cooks like pizza 400'-500' around the gasket area,you eventually will burn up your gasket.The nomex works better for those cooks or go with a Rutland gasket when you need to replace.You can call the Mothership and they probably might comp you a nomex the first time..

I'm new owner of an egg, but why not just use a replacement felt gasket from BGE? The original one I have seems to work fine. Why mess with it and use something different?

• jllbmsjllbms Posts: 313
    Thx bvc.  Worked exactly as described!
    Long Beach, MS