Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New gasket

Options
jllbms
jllbms Posts: 381
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Burned out the original gasket. Replaced it with a Nomex, but it's not a good seal. Smoke wafts around a foot bit ot the perimeter. So, not much I can do about it, unless carbon eventually seals it. My question -will this have any effect or is it cosmetic?

Thanks,

John
Kemah, TX

Comments

• bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Options
    close lid, loosen band screws, adjust the lid so the seal is better, tighten screws enough so that you can open/close lid and use the dollar bill drag test around the lid adjusting until you have a better seal.  just did this with mine when replacing a way gone original felt gasket with the new nomex.  i now have a much better fit than before. 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    No it will not.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    bvc's recommendation should solve the problem.  If not, travis is right - it won't affect your cooks and a lot of folks go completely gasket-less with no issue.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I put the Nomex gasket on, which was thicker than the OEM felt and had to do what BVC outlined.  Loosen the band screws, adjust, tighten and then repeat until the dollar bill test showed even pressure around the circumference of the seal.  Took about 5 minutes to adjust (after 60 minutes of scraping the old gasket off and putting the new on...). 
    Options
    I'm new owner of an egg, but why not just use a replacement felt gasket from BGE? The original one I have seems to work fine. Why mess with it and use something different?
    LBGE
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Doc,

if you do a lot of high temp cooks like pizza 400'-500' around the gasket area,you eventually will burn up your gasket.The nomex works better for those cooks or go with a Rutland gasket when you need to replace.You can call the Mothership and they probably might comp you a nomex the first time..

I'm new owner of an egg, but why not just use a replacement felt gasket from BGE? The original one I have seems to work fine. Why mess with it and use something different?

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Thx bvc.  Worked exactly as described!
    Kemah, TX