Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First high temp butt (Lazy Butt)!

Options
Eggucated
Eggucated Posts: 213
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'll start my own thread so i don't hijack Lizzie's. Got up at 7:30 cleaned out the egg, shop vac and took out the fire ring and box. Then ran across a question. The fire ring has 5 semi-circles in one side. Now i've always placed the indentations up but never stopped to think why. It seems I remember something in the dvd about doing it that way, but never really sure why. I'm thinking they help hold the plate setter in place, but then I started thinking about airflow...

Anyway, cleaned out the egg, dumped my lump (since this bag was all small pieces), tossed in some hickory chunks, installed the partyq, and fired it up to 350. Then went in rubbed the butt (no mustard) and got her on the egg at 8:30. Not sure yet if I will foil and juice at 160, or just let it ride to 195-205ish.

It is now 9:30 and the butt is at 109 internal. If nothing else this should demonstrate how forgiving a butt really is!
Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Turbo Butt! Good luck.
    When I moved my large, i took out the insides and thought the same thing about the fire ring (this could improve airflow!) But when i looked at it from the side, it is cone shaped, fitting in with the semicircles on top.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Thanks Taz, I've had my egg for abot 18 months now, not sure why I thought about the ring today.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Cone shaped, yes. Square cut outs go up for platesetter positioning. Turbo butts are good. I cooked one at 325 and it taste the same as all the others I cook. I do like to stay at 250 for the first few hours to get as much smoke in as I can. I do believe once the butt gets above a certain temp, no more smoke will penetrate. Faster approach to that temp= less smoke penetration. After 3 hours, I give it hell.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options

Turbo Butt is very interesting. Please take pics and update us! Good luck!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Cleaned out egg, I think you mean more than just using the tool to push all the little ash bits to the clean out area, right.  How often do you clean it out?  
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Cleaned out egg, I think you mean more than just using the tool to push all the little ash bits to the clean out area, right.  How often do you clean it out?  

He removed all interior parts and used a shop vac to suck out all ash. This is by far my favorite way as well. I do it once a week but that may be overkill.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    For the "deep clean" I do that before every long (greater than 4-6 hrs) low&slow.  Beyond that, I do remove accumulated ash about every other cook.  All in the name of air-flow and that is the BGE driver.  Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Jason and Lou are correct, take all the interior parts out and then use a shop vac to suck out all the remaining ash. I did a high temp burn earlier this week so i wanted to make sure i got the leftover ash and crud out. I usually only bother doing the take apart shop vac thing before low and slows, unless i notice that it's taking longer than usual to get up to temp.

Three hours into the cook and internal temp is 174, dome temp is at 325. Took the boys to buy some fireworks so turned the partyq down while I was gone. After 18 months of making minor adjustments and learning my egg, i sure do love the ease and control of the PartyQ! However, i think you really need to know your egg and how to control temps before you get a controller. Controllers are electronic, and electronics do fail... I'll have to sneak a peek in a few minutes and upload a pic.
  • Eggucated
    Options

Lazy Butt

• lousubcap
    Options
    @ Eggucated-If I recall right didn't you have the patience to hang in there with a 24 hour butt cook several weeks ago...if so, what are you going to do with all the extra time not spent wondering about this cook?:) Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggucated
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I did hang in there on that 24 hour butt, that was the reason I bought the PartyQ and the reason I'm trying the lazy turbo butt. Unfortunatley the extra time is being used for yard work. I have to mow and put out 7 bales of pine straw. :). I'm sure there will be a few Corona's in my future since I'm all out of Taliskers.
  • Eggucated
    edited July 2012
    Options

Pulled it at 2:00pm so 5 1/2 hours.  Waited for the internal temp to hit 205, 195 and 200 wasn't quite fall apart tender.  She's wrapped and in a cooler, I'll pull around 5pm.

Now time to go make some ice cream!

Happy 4th Y'All!!

• Eggucated
    Options
    Ok, to be perfectly honest this was one of my best butts yet. It seemed more moist and tender than any I've done lo and slo. I will have to try it again to see if i just got the perfect butt, however, I'm thinking 5 1/2 hours and no stress is the way to go!
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Wow, that's it, 5 1/2 hrs?
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    I did 32 or 36 pounds worth of butts in 7.5 hrs, and they turned out great. I did it for a small wedding, and everybody loved em. Turbo butts are a great way to go and little difference in taste.
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Yep, 325 indirect = 5.5 hours with equal consistency and taste of longer cook. I'm pretty amazed, even though I've been reading about Turbo Butts since before i bought my egg.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Looks good, thanks for posting! Is 325* grid or dome temp? How many pounds was your uncooked butt?
  • Eggucated
    Options
    325 was dome, and the butt was 7 3/4 pound.  I did have the temp at 350 for the first hour, but then reduced it to 325 for the rest of the cook.  I think 325 is the right zone for me, not sure that 25 degrees would make a big difference though.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I have smoked many butts but never tried this method.  I will have to.  If it is as good as the traditional, longer method I can think of no reason to continue cooking them that way.
  • Eggucated
    Options
    My wife actually preferred it.  I'm a little sad though, I liked the process of the low and slow, hanging out drinking a few beers, watching the temps.  Seems a little sad to not have that.
  • lousubcap
    Options

My wife actually preferred it.  I'm a little sad though, I liked the process of the low and slow, hanging out drinking a few beers, watching the temps.  Seems a little sad to not have that.
    +1 with the side benefits of the traditional low&slow-and my SWMBO does not know about the turbo butt procedure...and if I am successful, she never will.  I will give it a go sometime but no explanation necessary...
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

+1 with the side benefits of the traditional low&slow-and my SWMBO does not know about the turbo butt procedure...and if I am successful, she never will.  I will give it a go sometime but no explanation necessary...
    simple, start the fire, get it to 250, have you beverages, then 5 hours before the meal, get the temp up, and put the meat on. :)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Had to look up SWMBO, it's not often I'm stumped.  Love it!!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Had to look up SWMBO, it's not often I'm stumped.  Love it!!

me too lol

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    The guy on the bbq show TLC had on a while ago won contests doing turbo method briskets, charcoall and lighter fluid.... Lots of it. Cooked em @ 350 or so and laughed at the competition all the way to the bank! I am going to try that method, minus the fluid.
    Seattle, WA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Sounds like Myron Mixon, his arrogance is pure entertainment. 
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Myron teaches BBQ classes out of his home in South Georgia, I've seriously been thinking about signing up.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Myron teaches BBQ classes out of his home in South Georgia, I've seriously been thinking about signing up.
    I would love too... just not economical

• Eggucated
    Options
    I just saw that he's doing an informal class focused on "his experiences growing up".  Based on open pit, and late nights, also includes "traditional Georgia side dishes".  I have the feeling there will be a lot of sitting by the pits and sipping beverages while listening to stories all night.  It's limited to 15 people, and it's only $1500....  Pit Masters has been very good for Myron..