Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long should this #7 Brisket take?

johnraz
johnraz Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first brisket on my XL BGE and I'm trying to figure out how long it will take. I've seen some say 1 1/2 HR / LB, which would be 10 hours or so. Then the recipe on the BGE site says more like 4-5 hours.

Can someone help a newBGE dude out? I'll be using my iGrill to monitor the temp. I'm guess I'll just set it to Med/Rare Beef?

Thanks

Comments

• johnraz
    BTW, I couldn't get a 'Packer' cut right away, so this #7 was all I could get my hands on. I think it's the Flat plus some of the Point.
  • Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    I would post a pic, but I haven't figured out how on my IPad. I started a full packer 8# brisket at 7 pm yesterday and it has at least an hour to go. The egg decided that 225* was the temp for my cooks yesterday and today. It has been there since noon yesterday when I started ribs for supper
    LBGE South Dakota
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Ok brisket is not cooked to regular beef temps. My last one pulled at 200 so forget medium rare. You need to cook it long and slow to make it tender.
    IME about 1.5-2 hours a pound. What is your dome temp?
    And those temps are guidelines. Its done when its done, and the means when you can slide a skewer or meat probe in AND out without any resistance.
    Good luck.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    low and slow its more like 12 hours when i cook a flat this size. if your lookingg for the quicker cook this works but its different than low and slow brisket. when you put the aujus in the foil, go light with it, too much and it gets more pot roast flavor

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    My suggestion (and that is all it is) is to estimate on the long side for cook times using the info above.  If finished early you can hold for 4-6 hours wrapped in HDAF, towels and a cooler.  FYI-I always see around 1.8 -2 hrs/# with flats at a calibrated dome to 250-260*F.  And slice against the grain and slice when ready to eat as it dries out very quickly.  Happy B'day USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnraz
    Wow, this forum is great and your responses are really helpful. My party is tomorrow at 5. So based on these comments I'll put it on tonight late and cook it low and slow ~ 225 and see how it looks tomorrow. As you mentioned if it's done early I'll do the towel wrap in the cooler.

BTW, I've got it in a marinade right how. Stubb's Meat Marinade plus some apple cider vinegar, beef broth, A1, etc. I plan on taking it out of the marinade, let it dry a bit then coast with mustard and rub.

I don't think I'll be doing a mop, but I do plan on putting a pan under the brisket with some of the marinade in it for added moisture.

Happy 4th all !