Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would I be crazy to attempt a pork but for the 4th

2»

Comments

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    I like chunks for long cooks.  Hickory on butts, but I am really a southern boy at heart.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Easy
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Good to see you’re going for it! Way to go! Butt is very easy and very hard to jack up.  Hey worse case it might be a little under done then all you need to do is make chopped pork, or if it’s over done then it’s just a little mushy, but will still taste great. Good luck and enjoy the 4th.

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I think I got everything, when I was picking up the pork shoulder some A_ _ said to me you know that is a pork butt right?  I just looked at him and said yup, it is and I plan on starting it tonight around 11:30 tonight and hope to be eating it with the family after the parade.  With a smile on my face, I then said, yup going to throw some cherry chips in for good measure too.  Stopped him in his tracks, I hate when people have pre-conceived notions of others, just burns my butt!!!  Ok thats over, now to get dinner on at over 100 still outside time to start Drinking the Corona w/ limes of course!! 

Thanks again for all your help, I will be hosting a play by play a little later!
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I just couldn't help myself! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @ LizzieSamps-you have the right game plan-just make sure you don't run out of limes:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I would start my fire about 8:30 and let it get rock solid for a few hours before throwing it on at 11:30. Just because this is your first all nighter and that will give you some time to adjust temps early insted of sitting up all night worried about it. Just fill the firebox with fresh lump up to the top and you'll have plenty of lump for a few hours on the front end to ensure you get it very stable before putting it on.

And Cap......there is that watchword again. Still need to change mine :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @ Cen-Tex-for the remainder of the night (however long or short it may be) the word is bourbon :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @ Cen-Tex-for the remainder of the night (however long or short it may be) the word is bourbon :)>-

I am better at Bourbon than patience so I accept
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @LizzieSamps this will be the easiest thing you have tried.  Some people spray with apple juice (I do) and others just let it go to temp.  Another tip when I pull it I put a tablespoon or two of my rub in the pulled pork and spray that with apple juice.

1000 ways to do it and you will figure out the way you and your family like it.
  • I think I got everything, when I was picking up the pork shoulder some A_ _ said to me you know that is a pork butt right?  I just looked at him and said yup, it is and I plan on starting it tonight around 11:30 tonight and hope to be eating it with the family after the parade.  With a smile on my face, I then said, yup going to throw some cherry chips in for good measure too.  Stopped him in his tracks, I hate when people have pre-conceived notions of others, just burns my butt!!!  Ok thats over, now to get dinner on at over 100 still outside time to start Drinking the Corona w/ limes of course!! 

Thanks again for all your help, I will be hosting a play by play a little later!

can't wait to see how it turns out. You will have the last laugh on that knuckle dragger for sure. What a dope. there are women on here who can BBQ/Egg circles around most. Enjoy that Corona and enjoy a wry smile tomorrow when you are grubbing down on some bad a** pulled pork
  • smoloney
    smoloney Posts: 30
    I use Costco shoulder with this recipe. Follow the link to Kevin and Amandas pulled pork. Only thing i do different is to egg it all night long at 250. Just put one one for tomorrow.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Glad you stuffed that dummy. Enjoy the night
    Looking forwars to updates.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    LizzieSamps I am jealous of you.  I egged a healthy snapper with lime and basil tonight (yawn) and I have nothing to grill tomorrow.  I would love to try a pork butt and I look forward to hearing all about yours. My husband loves pork but tries to be "good" and my daughter won't eat it at all.  My two teenage boys love it though and they are away for the summer. I am thinking when they get back in August I may need to make one to welcome them home!  My daughter comes home next week and she and I are going to stay up all night and smoke a brisket (July 12)- I've got a packer ordered from our local butcher.  It'll be our second go at it.  The first one was delicious but dry- maybe because we used a flat instead of packer...?  We had deep talks over the fire, smoke and meat smells-yum.  It was a great night.  Enjoy yours!! What will you serve with it?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs