Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much Boston Butt?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks-[p]I am planning on doing some pulled pork this weekend to take to the lake for next weekend and I have a couple questions.
1. How much butt should I buy for 10 adults and 10 kids? How long will it take to cook? I have only done butt once before, kind of a virgin!
2. Should I cook it, pull it, let it cool and then freeze it for next weekend? Sorry, no food saver yet. Just use freezer bags?
3. What is the best way to keep it moist at dinner time? Should I add moisture somehow prior to freezing?[p]Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!
Becks

Comments

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Becks in MN, with 2 good sized butts (about 8 lbs each) you should do fine. One of mine stuffed 8 people with enough left over for several more sammiches. Between the adults and kids, you should have leftovers from 2 butts. [p]I threw my leftovers in a gallon-sized ziploc freezer bag, and pressed the meat down as best I could into the bottom corner, then rolled the bag tight to get as much air as possible out, then zipped and froze. [p]I didn't add any moisture before freezing, but I did use a little apple juice mixed in to reheat in the crock pot for one batch, and a little Dr. Pepper with another batch and both turned out wonderfully. [p]Good luck!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Becks in MN, figure you can get 2.4 servings from a pound of uncooked meat (with bone). You've got 20 people so you're somewhere between 20 and 40 servings required. 8 pounds should provide 19.2 servings and 16 should give you 38.4. 16# should do fine with a bit left over for another day.

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Becks in MN,
    I think that (2) 8 pound butts should be plenty. If I were you , I would cook your butts to an internal temp of 195-200 and wrap them in a double layer of HD foil. Let them cool and then freeze them whole. Give a couple of days to thaw out and then either put them back on an egg or into an oven at 250 deg. and cook for a few hours until they are heated through. THey will pull as if you just took them off the egg. You may want to add a little apple juice or other liquid to the foil while you are reheating to conserve moisture. I have done this several times and it works. Good luck!