Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - Fat Cap Up or Down?

TexAg87
TexAg87 Posts: 22
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm only very slightly experienced with smoking briskets, and looking to tap some of the wisdom represented here. I'll be putting one on tonight to serve tomorrow (about 15 lbs) and am unsure which way I want to put it on. Am I better off with the fat cap on top or on bottom? 

I have thus far used a plate-setter legs up, and generally put the brisket on a v-shaped rack resting in a 13x9 cake pan as a drip pan. I'm not sure this one will fit on the rack. Should I put a round drip pan on top of the plate-setter, and then just put the brisket directly on the grate?

Comments

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    edited July 2012
    After trying both multiple times, and reading more than 1,000 posts on the subject (exaggerated), I can honestly tell you that it makes no difference at all.  Whatever you feel best doing, as long as you're doing indirect cooking.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    +1 with H_D-the only reason I generally put the cap down is so that if anything sticks to the grate it's the fat-not the meat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • howdy and cap are both right. I have one on right now and didn't even look.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'm only very slightly experienced with smoking briskets, and looking to tap some of the wisdom represented here. I'll be putting one on tonight to serve tomorrow (about 15 lbs) and am unsure which way I want to put it on. Am I better off with the fat cap on top or on bottom? 

I have thus far used a plate-setter legs up, and generally put the brisket on a v-shaped rack resting in a 13x9 cake pan as a drip pan. I'm not sure this one will fit on the rack. Should I put a round drip pan on top of the plate-setter, and then just put the brisket directly on the grate?

And where have you been hiding out? Long time no see.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    In my limited experience, I think it's one of those Gone with the wind things....Frankly my dear brisket, I don't give a damn if your fat side is up or down.
    Cookin in Texas