Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Setup Question

Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings - it is nice to be back! I have 2 butts with a combined weight of 15.2 pounds. They are too big to fit in the V rack together. What setup do you suggest, and how long do you imagine they will take to cook with a dome temp of 225? This is on a large egg.[p]Thanks and oinks,[p]Pigasso and Sue E.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Pigasso,[p]That's wierd. My two packs are always about 16 pounds, and I just put them in the v-rack side by side and they fite fine. [p]This is on a large egg with v-rack, right? [p]Well, regardless, the BGE v-rack always holds two for me. There's no space between them, but they fit.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Pigasso,[p]No need for a V rack. Use a plate setter with large drip pan and place the butts on the grill (on the plate setter over the drip pan). [p]I only use the V rack when doing turkey breasts or inverted a s rib rack.[p]Turkey.jpg[p]Smokey
  • Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Mark Backer,AH HA! I was thinking I would have to leave space between them. What do you think about the cooking time?[p]Thanks

• Mark Backer
    Pigasso,[p]Tough call since every cut is different. If you cook them at 250 dome, I'd say right about 15 hours. If you cook at 225 dome, more like 20 hours or so. [p]I like cooking at 250 dome b/c the meat seems the same and the fire needs less / no tending past a stirring before bed.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    2005010904.jpg
    <p />Pigasso,
    i just put them on a raised grill over a drip pan. these were 7 pounds each over 2 brisket flats. they were touching each other and the dome at the start of the cook, about halfway through cooking there was a space all around them because of the shrinking

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark Backer
    fishlessman,[p]I don't care what you call it. Nobody wants to hear about shrinkage...[p]
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    I agree with Smokey. I've never used a v-rack for my butts. They sit on the main rack, side by side.