Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If no table for the Egg what is your setup.

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Hi everyone, I just got the LBGE and did not buy the table.  So I have cooked 2X and a few things have become apparent, the obvious:

Food tastes amazing, juicy, etc.  and

There is no where to put anything.  I have been using my old gasser side table to put tongs on, my welding gloves, etc.  

So since I can't buy a table right now, have no ability to build one, I am the handy one in my family so can't make anyone else do it either.  What else would work?  Suggestions, comments, please?

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Mates and perhaps a nest. A handler to tie everything together.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • LizzieSamps
    Got the nest, thankfully!
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    edited July 2012
    I didn't get a table, either. Primarily due to the fact that they don't import them to Australia, and it's been years since anything BGE reached our shores.
    In any case, I have an IKEA kitchen trolley: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/20201917/

Works perfectly, and it's compact enough to fit anywhere. A big plus, considering the minimal space in my apartment's courtyard.
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    I use a cheap-a__ plastic table from a home center to hold everything.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited July 2012

I purchased a few stainless tables from Costco:

Ive moved it all around a bit:

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Cheap Cinder blocks

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm in the process of getting a table, but right now I have a "hot" table made of cinder block pavers like bear, but I put some left over 12" ceramic tiles on it to make clean up easier.
    I also have a 30" square metal wire table on the other side for food placement.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    This is my extremely cheap and fast alternative. Our house is for sale so there was no reason for me to build a crazy table just to move it. I will have a set up when we move.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • LizzieSamps
    Well I hope your buyers don't write the Egg in their offer. I have had clients that have asked for a Viking Grill, we got it in the end! Good luck with the sale.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Lol my wife has joked about someone doing that. Most people don't even know what my egg is!! Itd have to be a good offer but I'd be on my way to buy another egg!!

XLBGE 
  • LizzieSamps
    I bet you would!
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Cheap Cinder blocks

now thats pretty smart and safe...great idea on your part!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• tazcrash
    Here is my "temp" setup.
    That low wall is about 20“ tall.
    Those cinder blocks are what i used to raise the egg. On top of the 2' paver are 4 left over ceramic tilea for clean up.
    And the homer bucket is full of sand and has my 10' umbrella.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • When I plan on doing alot of cooking,  I set up a folding plastic table from Target.  I think it is six foot long and probably cost around $35.  I have an XL with the nest and tablemates.  I plan on purchasing a stainless table like Cookingdude's but with casters added to the legs. I plan on adding a second egg sometime in the future and I think having them in the nests with the separate stainless table is more versatile if I would want to move things around vs. having the eggs stuck in a big heavy table.

• LizzieSamps
    I love all the idea you have put forth.  I think I might go the stainless table setup so I can move it all around or the cinder block design, cheap but functional.  I need to tear out my deck and rebuild or pour a patio, so I will post a pic once I have something set up.
  • SalsaGids
    SalsaGids Posts: 25
    1. Get a geek boyfriend.
    2. Show him this website.
    3. Bring him food and drinks while he is building it.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    1. Get a geek boyfriend.
    +1

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• LizzieSamps
    1. Get a geek boyfriend.
    I am married to a geek, problem is the computer kind, I do more woodworking and home repair than he does.
    I am hoping continue and cook some amazing food, and serve lots of great drinks, so that I will just slip that table in when he is not looking.

All kidding aside this is my thing.  I paid for it and if I want a table, then dang it I will buy one!  I am that kinda woman!  :)

• tazcrash
    Nice......

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    1. Get a geek boyfriend.
    I am married to a geek, problem is the computer kind, I do more woodworking and home repair than he does.
    I am hoping continue and cook some amazing food, and serve lots of great drinks, so that I will just slip that table in when he is not looking.

All kidding aside this is my thing.  I paid for it and if I want a table, then dang it I will buy one!  I am that kinda woman!  :)

+1

I'm a geek of sorts (science).. and last weekend, changing the gasket on my egg, was the first time I had ever used a wrench.
    In fact, last weekend, changing the gasket on my egg, was the first time I had ever used the WORD wrench. 
    The guy at the hardware store, when he explained to me the concept behind the wrench, questioned my masculinity..
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

+2. Just this weekend, I'm thinking of building transporter for my small egg and it's the first time I knew the difference between 2x4s and plywood after asking the people at Home Depot. Bought a bunch of wood stuffs and put it in the garage. Heck...I've even considered taking a woodworking and welding class.

When I came back with a bunch of stuffs, my wife wonders whether I've lost it :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    Guess I didn't see this post and so I'm late to the game, but FWIW, this has been my "temporary" setup for going on 2 years :D 

The cool thing is, this temporary "redneck" setup even has built in weather-resistant storage!!  If I could talk the GF into it, I'd leave the setup the way it is, but she's been on me about how it doesn't "look nice" etc... =;
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • sboz8
    sboz8 Posts: 5
    Keep the geek husband and get a handyman boyfriend. If you would like to try to build one I'll donate some hardware. I have thousands of the stainless bar pulls in all sizes. Also matching hooks to hang your tools and heavy drawer slides for a plate setter drawer. Let me know if your interested.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    mines in a nest, and i roll it into the garage when it's not in use. accessories go inside the egg, whatever fits goes in my weber kettle

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Mines in a nest and I use old patio furniture tables to set things on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Just have a nest right now, and the table on our deck seems to do alright.  Kitchen is right through our patio door, so I can just set something on the counter & grab if need be.  Going to "upgrade" to a full on table at some point, just not sure when.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

Nest, little cheap plastic table with fire bricks on top for placing hot stuff.  A big plastic deck box full of greasy stuff, some of which I'll someday discard.  Hooks on the deck roof to hold stuff.  Still have the Weber Kettle next to the BGE but if I don't fire it up in another half-year I'll donate.  It all looks a bit like Ma&Pa Kettle decor but it works.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

I use a nest right now with this as my storage for all the eggcessories. Got it at home depot.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Keep the geek husband and get a handyman boyfriend. If you would like to try to build one I'll donate some hardware. I have thousands of the stainless bar pulls in all sizes. Also matching hooks to hang your tools and heavy drawer slides for a plate setter drawer. Let me know if your interested.

Absolutely interested! I'll PM you!