Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with belly

Options
setdahook
setdahook Posts: 284
edited July 2012 in Pork
So thanks to my wife and local butcher, I have 2 lbs pork belly and I am really wanting to make some po boys but no idea where to start. I will take all the info I can get.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    One thing you could do is season and smoke it at a low temp for an hour or two for flavor, then braise it until it's nice and tender and almost ready to fall apart.  Slice across the grain and I'll take that poboy dressed, please.
    Options
    Any thoughts on the braising liquid first thought is crown and coke but since I have not ever tried this I have no clue.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can cook it in a confit. Submerged in lard or oil indirect at around 200* for ten to twelve hours. Then cool, remove the belly and grill hot or sear in a hot pan.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

You can cook it in a confit. Submerged in lard or oil indirect at around 200* for ten to twelve hours. Then cool, remove the belly and grill hot or sear in a hot pan.

+1

You can also cook it low and slow w/o smoke on the Egg and minimal seasoning (S&P) in a roasting pan/corning ware.  This will yield an incredibly tender belly that you can slice or pull.  The benefit is that since you did not go crazy with the seasonings you will be able to keep the rendered fat and use as your own homemade lard :)

• Little Steven
    Options

+1

You can also cook it low and slow w/o smoke on the Egg and minimal seasoning (S&P) in a roasting pan/corning ware.  This will yield an incredibly tender belly that you can slice or pull.  The benefit is that since you did not go crazy with the seasonings you will be able to keep the rendered fat and use as your own homemade lard :)

I've had it done sous vide as well and pan seared. Awesome!
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Hard to beat belly when the fat is rendered properly.  I have a difficult time not ordering it when I go out if it is on the menu in any form other than bacon :D