Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for no-fail babyback rib procedure

2»

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited July 2012
    Greetings from Dublin Ireland - newbie BGE owner. Have cooked ribs over foil drip-pan with apple juice. Invariably boils dry and burns. Other suggestions welcome.
    If you are going to use liquids, then seal them in for steaming\braising (Car Wash Mike style). 
    Personally I just use the drip pan, and put spacers between it, and the stone to prevent bad burning.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • ignatrock
    ignatrock Posts: 1
    I pre rub with yellow mustard then dry rub with a good KC mix.  Smoke for 3 hours with 8 chunks of apple wood.  I wrap in foil for 2 hours after putting honey and a light sprinkle of brown sugar along with some apple juice.  All this at 250 dome temp.  Sauce if you wish and tighten up for 1/2 hour and they are pull off the bone good.
  • I do mine low and slow. Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs, rub them with a dry rub and wrap and refrigerate overnight.(for me anyway) Get the egg lit. I like either wicked good or green egg charcoal. I think egg gives more smoke than wicked but wicked is harder and has larger chunks. Once the charcoal is going, I add apple chunk wood and soaked cherry wood chips. Plate setter with legs up. Grill rack on top with a vertical rib rack. Throw on the ribs and close her up. I use a DigiQ but I get the temp to 215. Cook for 5 hours or so....depending on thickness of ribs. The last half hour I like to throw a little light glaze on them. Once they are done, I pull them and wrap them in foil until you can't wait any longer.....it works every time and I have won several competitions with this method.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Less about time ...  Travis hit the nail on the head a  day or so ago..   When the bone is sticking out,  When you pick up one end and meat pulls away from the bone  --- they are done.   Somewhere between 4 to 7 hours depending on temp, humidity, phase of the moon, and size of your bone.
    Cookin in Texas
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    My process appears to work well for my tastes - meat not falling off the bone but close.
    1) overnight soak in a brine. Salt and spices of your liking with water. I go back and forth on vinegar with water, I can't really tell the difference. Same with brown sugar in the brine.
    2) 2 hrs before I take them out of the brine and hit them up with the dry rub. Sometimes I add brown sugar, but a very light coating with spices (too much and it will burn).
    3) get the egg and placesetter (legs up) warmed up to 200-250, presoaked chips in and put a pie tin covered in foil on the PS with a little water - I do this more to catch drippings/keep the PS clean vs moisture advantages.
    4) I have adjusted the 2-2-1 process to 3-1-.5 - I find a good steam in 100% apple juice in foil helps a lot with tenderness and apple flavor. The times are a rough guide, whenever they look done they are done, just test with the bone method mentioned several times already.
    5) I use the auber instruments PIDcontroller, which helps me keep the smoking temp to 225 for the 3 hrs, 250 for 1 hr, without this or the digi you are going to be at a higher temp, so pull back the cook time.