Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 4th pulled pork & beef. ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE.

Options
OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor asked if I would cook pulled beef along with our traditional pulled pork for the 4th. The problem is I've never pulled beef before. I've got a 10.5 lbs pork butt and a 5 lbs chuck roast. I plan on preparing both pieces of meat the same by rubbing them with Byron's Butt Rub and cooking them at 250*. Here's my question, if a butt takes roughly 1.5 hrs\lbs, and I plan on starting it around 10:00 on Tuesday night, what time should I put the beef on if I want them to reach pulling tempertures at roughly the same time? I always inject my butts with creole butter. Should I inject the beef, and with what? Any other suggestions anyone can provide regarding pulled beef would be greatly appreciated.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Never done pulled beef (on my list) but I have read many posts/recipes about it here and on the "other forum".  Try the search function and if that doesn't yield much try Google and search "pulled beef and the big green egg".  That should give you some suggestions.  Wish I had more to offer-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    edited July 2012
    Options
    There is a little more to this method than just a simple rub then smoke like a butt, but clayQ's recipe is awesome...I've done it couple times and can highly recommend it....

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would do it like ropa vieja - one of my favorite dishes.  Brown then braise.  I think if you did a pure roast it would dry out too much. 

1. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over
      medium-high heat. Brown the flank steak on each side, about 4 minutes
      per side.

2. Transfer beef to a slow cooker. Pour in the beef
      broth and tomato sauce, then add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato
      paste, cumin, cilantro, olive oil and vinegar. Stir until well blended.
      Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for up to 10 hours. When
      ready to serve, shred meat and serve with tortillas or rice.

Options
    When I did it, it was like pulled pork, but....
    after an hour of smoking, I wrapped in foil, and put into tray. 
    There will be a lot of Au-jus coming out, and you don't want to miss it.

Also, when i did it, I injected, and it gave a lot more flavor to it for me.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Options

I'm in the middle of a beef chuck roast right now. I put on a layer of mustard and seasoned with Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic, paprika and a pinch of chili.

I have it on at 250 right now and watching it from work with my CyberQ Wifi. It's my first shredded beef and my inspiration came from http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2116704. If I have to, I can run home and foil it, but I'm experimenting and want to leave it as is.

I'll post pictures here when done.

I'm not worried about leaving the Egg on all day with no one at home. I have the Chia Guy watching everything in case there's a problem.

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Technically, when you wrap your food in foil in a low-n-slow with some liquid such as apple juice....and there are no holes in the foil (IE liquid stays in)...you're braising.
    Options

Finished the Chuckies after 11 hours from a cold start. Went for initial five hours at 250. Was at 150 IT at the end of the five hours. The next three hours set to 275 degrees. So, after eight hours, it was at 163 IT. Finally, upped it to 300 degrees for the last three hours and pulled at 198 IT. Let 'em rest for about 90 minutes. Eleven hours, plus prep time and clean up for one sandwich. Love it.

I cook at 6080' altitude, so cooks take quite a bit longer.

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA