Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp gauge to thermapen - need some help

Derek9511
Derek9511 Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone compared the temp exiting the daisy wheel using a Thermapen or other to compare it to the dome dial gauge. Is this a good temp reference? I checked mine and the exhaust gas is usually 80 degrees higher than the gauge reading and not sure if is because it's higher in the dome or my gauge is that far off?

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    If you feel they are reading improperly it may be time to calibrate your thermometers. Are you noticing any problems with your recent cooks?
  • The temp is hotter the higher you go. If you want an accurate reading, calibrate your dome thermo in boiling water. temps vary quite a bit from lump bed to daisy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    +1 with Brownie-the boiling water calibration check is the best way to know your gauges are accurate.  After all, that dome temp info is the one gauge all BGE's have in common.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    calibrate in boiling water, using the thermopen for reference, that'll get you the most accurate reading.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Being a new thermapen owner, I found that when I stuck my pen into whatever I was cooking the readings were never accurate, it was either well done or over cooked, then one day by chance I stuck the pen in further than just the needle point and low and behold I got very accurate readings, I don't know if this is the case for everyone but I find if I stick it in about 2 inches its much better.
  • Brownie
    Stoater, I believe all thermapens are accurate with only needing to use the first 1/8 inch of the probe for accurate temp reading. The problem doesn't seem to be with your thermometer, as it was reading the temp of your meat where you had it positioned. You always want to check your temp at the thickest portion of your food for doneness. Check out these pics on how I gauge the depth of my thermometer placement.
     1. Please try as hard as you can to imagine this is a nice juicy steak on your egg.
     2. use you fingers for a stop for probe depth
     3. insert probe in the center (vertically) in your steak till your fingers (set as stop from step 2) touch the side
     4. Check your temp for internal temp.
    imageimageimage
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @ Brownie-next time can you use a different color for your demo.... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Derek9511
    Derek9511 Posts: 6
    Thanks guys. I will check the calibration with boiling water. Is there something on how to adjust it if it's off?
  • Is that an actual rhinoceros turd or are you hiding a veloca raptor in your garage? :)).

• Brownie
    lousubcap   No. :D

The Cen-Tex Smoker  Yes. :D

It's definitely edible, any guesses? hint: it usually has a more recognizable shape. This one fell short of normal.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Some sort of bread or cake?
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Thanks guys. I will check the calibration with boiling water. Is there something on how to adjust it if it's off?
    You put a wrench on the nut where the probe exits the back of the dial and turn it to adjust the read-out.
  • Brownie
    Some sort of bread or cake?
    You win! Your answer is 100 percent correct. (some sort) Dark rye bread, I tried it outside of the pan, and although its taste was the same..............well............cen tex said it best.
  • AleBrewer
    I guess as long as it tasted good......did you dim the lights, or maybe close your eyes when eating it? :)
  • I guess as long as it tasted good......did you dim the lights, or maybe close your eyes when eating it? :)
    If I had a nickel......
  • Brownie
    Boy...........oh boy.................I hope your talking about a pumpernickel........If it weren't for that comment I would have said I made it that way intentionally because I like eating lots of crust.........but.........
  • AleBrewer
    Ha....you guys kill me!
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I don't know what all of you are talking about. This example will never work, because it's a green thermapen. You need the flaming thermapen to get good fast readings.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • and goodnight :)

Centex out

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I guess as long as it tasted good......did you dim the lights, or maybe close your eyes when eating it? :)
    If I had a nickel......
    If I had a nickel......
    =)) =)) =))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Brownie
    I don't know what all of you are talking about. This example will never work, because it's a green thermapen. You need the flaming thermapen to get good fast readings.

=))