Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE owner and finally allowed in the forum

Options
Golfanatic
Golfanatic Posts: 33
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Good afternoon

I got a LBGE for Father's Day this year from my wonderful wife and two year old daughter. I attempted to join the forum that same day and was finally let in today. I had so many questions and ideas I wanted to post but couldn't until today. It feels great to now be a part of the forum and it may have been for the best because I was able to find almost everything I needed by searching. I see you Veterans tend to answer the same questions over and over from us newbies.

I can't decide if I want to buy or build a table. I have been in contact with Kenneth Crisler who I trust. I know there has been a lot to read about their situation but I may go that route.

So far I have cooked chicken wings, a brisket, and a beer can chicken. I purchased the plate setter and Maverick 732. We got a heck of a deal on the egg from my local Ace hardware so I will probably buy everything else from them as well. I didn't however get the green feet that were supposed to come with the Egg so I will check back with Ace on that.

I look forward to learning a lot from you all. Thanks for having me.

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Welcome Golf! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Judging by your name, we share at least 2 hobbies.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Golfanatic
    Options
    I live in Roswell, GA.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Welcome!!  you need to try the spatchcook chicken and the smoked meatloaf.....both are east and enjoyable cooks for someone getting there feet wet.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pasoegg
    Options

Welcome!!  you need to try the spatchcook chicken and the smoked meatloaf.....both are easy and enjoyable cooks for someone getting there feet wet.

sorry - can''t spell today

Winston-Salem, NC

• Golfanatic
    Options
    Thanks I just watched a YouTube video on how to spatchcock a chicken. I think I will try that.
  • pasoegg
    Options
    check the naked whiz website for amazingly easy directions with pictures of spatchcook chicken...he has that one nailed!!

Winston-Salem, NC

• JC_EggRookie
    Options
    New here myself Golf.Like you, I got a LBGE for Father's Day.Haven't had the time to fire it up yet but that is what the 4th of July is for I think.I look forward to learning from my mistakes.Spatchcock chicken? I'm doin' that!
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome. The new eggs don't come with the feet. some shops have some extras but it's no longer standard equip

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Welcome.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    Welcome Golf. I'm right down the road off of Holcomb Bridge.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Welcome Golf.  You are going to love the forum - great people with a lot of experience!  The people on the forum have given me hundreds of new ideas and I can't thank them enough.  The search function works ok but if you can't find it here you can ask the question in Bing or Google like "How do you do grill pork butts on the Big Green Egg?" and it will bring up tons of you tube and forum entries.  One of the favorite phrases on the forum is "If you don't have pictures; It didn't happen!".

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welocme-it is quite the adventure.  Always remember to enjoy the journey regardless of how the outcome turns out.  Estimate long for low&slow cook times-you can always wrap in foil and towels and hold in a cooler.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Golfanatic
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome and lowflyer I live off of Old Alabama. We are close.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome and lowflyer I live off of Old Alabama. We are close.
    I smell smoke..............sounds like a cook out is in the cards for you folks :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Golfanatic
    Options
    Ok so I bought an 8# Boston butt tonight. I am pumped to do my first low and slow for the 4th. I made my own rub and will post some pics (yikes)
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Can't wait to see the pc Golf, I am thinking the same for the 4th but may chicken out.  Just did Spatchcocked chicken, so easy , and so good!!!