Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planning for 50-80 Coworkers

Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Comrades,

I need some help with this.  Next week, I am cooking for a big group at work.  Planning to do : 2 bone-in butts, 2 tri-tip roasts, 12 chicken thighs, 12 sausages, and 4 racks of baby backs.

I plan to smoke the ribs two nights before on the BGE, then heat up with sauce on the gasser at work per Dr. BBQ instructions but with my rub and KC style sauce.

Do the butts overnight then FTC in the morning.  Grill sausages.

I need help with the beef and chicken.  I like to smoke chicken thighs at 250 for an hour or two.  For tri-tip.  I like to slow smoke, then reverse sear.   Ideas for these two items and planning?  Others are bringing the rest.  We need leftovers for those on other shifts.

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    You better cook more ribs. You can cook the tri tip the night before. Are you going to serve it hot or cold. If hot au jus to dip it in always works around here. The chicken I would cook last foil and rap put in the cooler with the pork. Sounds like your gunna be busy. Good luck and post some pixs if you can. 
  • Z_Eggineer
    I can only fit 4 racks on my LGBE well to the best of my knowledge.  Planning to smoke 4 hours after work 2 nights before.  The night before, capacity taken up by butts and tri tip.  I guess I will get up extra early to smoke chicken the day of.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    I'd use this as an opportunity to go buy an XL.  Your hands are tied, it's for the good of your company.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Rich_ie
    I'd use this as an opportunity to go buy an XL.  Your hands are tied, it's for the good of your company.
    +1 
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I can cook butts and ribs together. Tri tip should be done direct and should only take you 30 to 45 minutes. I would cook your pork the day before, and do the chicken, tri tip, and sausage the day of. Could do it all before and just warm em up day of too.

You got a tall order on your hands, that is for sure.
  • Z_Eggineer

As much as I would like work to buy me an XL, I do not see that happening.  How do you do ribs and butts together?  The morning of, I should be working and not just grilling the whole time. 

I think I can do it, but will definitely take planning.  Worse case scenario, I use oven for extra cooking space.

• ribnrun
    I take the fire ring out and use the platesetter with the grid on top. I put the butts in the middle and stand the ribs up around them. Usually let the ribs lean on the butts. It can be a tight fit but it works when circumstances require. I usually have to move the ribs a lot more that I usually would have to, since the heat coming around the plate setter is too much.
  • Z_Eggineer
    what is the point of taking the fire ring in this case?  I am not following
  • ribnrun
    That way it lowers the grid, so the ribs don't fall out onto the ground when you open the lid. Also keeps everything inside the egg easier.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Gotcha.  Do you add more lump after ribs are done?
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Menu sounds awesome, but seems like a lot of items to coordinate.  I would probably reduce to a couple of things - like the butts and ribs - and focus on killing those two.  But go for it man!  Would love to hear the result (+photos!).  Good luck!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Z_Eggineer
    I like a challenge, and think I can do it.  Some people at work got a big accomplishment, so we are celebrating. :)  My PIC (partner in crime) will be out of town, so even more of a challenge.  Ok, I will try to remember pics but phone isn't greatest.  What would you knock off menu?  Cali people demand tri tip lol
  • Rich_ie
    LOL
    I like a challenge, and think I can do it.  Some people at work got a big accomplishment, so we are celebrating. :)  My PIC (partner in crime) will be out of town, so even more of a challenge.  Ok, I will try to remember pics but phone isn't greatest.  What would you knock off menu?  Cali people demand tri tip lol
    Some might what fish. You have to pick your battles. Some last a life time (Yes dear) some just go away. Chin up and good luck.  ;)
  • Z_Eggineer
    There will be plenty of sides too.  I inquired about special diets, and some of the organizers were like: "What? Why would we do that?"  Also remember I work at a manufacturing plant, so most people enjoy land animals it seems.  I am not going to please everyone, but you if you can't be pleased by food off an egg...
  • Z_Eggineer

Anyone know a good tri-tip marinade?  I might just have to grill them the day of.

For spares done 3/2/1 or 3/1/1, how much of the cooking do I do 2 nights before?

• When I do big pork cooks for parties, I pull the pork at the party if I can. If not, I refrigerate and reheat in chafing dishes at the party(I use chafing dishes to keep it warm at the party either way). It stays moist for hours and serves well. You can buy cheap (or nice) chafing dishes at Sams, Costco, or any restaurant supply. You can rent them cheaply at any party rental store. This will allow you to schedule everything else in a way that works for your cook. I would do the sausage, Tri-tip, and yard bird on site so its fresh and cooked perfectly. Reheat the ribs on the gasser and you are good to go. Lots of moving parts here but it can be done.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Z_Eggineer
    Alright, I will plan to smoke the St. Louis ribs 4.5 - 5 hours 2 nights before.  Will smoke butts, marinate tri-tip, and brine thighs night before.  Will grill all direct about 400 day of?
  • Z_Eggineer
    Only had time to do ribs 4.5 the night before at 265 dome.  Getting lucky on the butts.  Forgot to set alarm on temp probe, but woke up and at 185 with 2 hours before I have to leave and 5 hours before eating time.  Temp started 200 to get smoky, then up to 275 for rest.