Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EVERYTHING from the egg!

jbajor
jbajor Posts: 17
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just completed my first 'everything from the egg' dinner...
Menu:
10.8 lb prime rib (bones tied back on)--perfectly medium rare. 4 hour cook, 1/2 hour rest.
Baked Potatoes
Asparagus tossed with EVOO and salt and pepper (finished off with a sprinkle of good Feta before serving)
and for dessert; Chocolate Bourbon (Makers Mark) Pecan Pie and a ring of fresh grilled Pineapple (soaked in Rum with a sprinkle of DP Pineapple Head) with a dollup of vanilla bean ice cream on the pineapple.

Now falling in and out of conciousness from the food coma.  Probably one of the tastiest meals we've had!  

It just keeps getting better and better!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    No pix's means it didn't happen!  :)>-
  • jbajor
    Sorry Rich!  My mistake...   here you go...

Jordan
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Looks great and very nice bark on the prime rib!!  :D
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great! I need to do a prime rib.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jbajor
    It completed the tri-fecta for me....  Brisket, Pork Butt, and now the Prime Rib.
  • HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    That prime rib looks awesome, as well does everything else.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks like a great cook. Do you have the recipe for the pecan pie?
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Was the ice cream done direct or indirect?

Ok, I'm being a smart-arse!  
    :D
  • jbajor
    Pie was directly out of the BGE Cookbook. If you look it up on Amazon you can go to 'look inside' go to desserts and the page s available. Really easy and delicious!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Awesome! I was just looking through that cookbook this morning looking for some dessert recipes and was thinking of trying that pie. How was it? Would you change anything if you did it again?

Prime rib looks outstanding.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I am also curious about the pie. I like to bake breads and desserts. Is there a smoky taste to the pies made in the bge? (mine to be delivered tomorrow)
    BGE Large
  • jbajor
    The pie was FANTASTIC!  I had never done dessert on any grill before.  I slight hint of smoke that went well with the bourbon.  The pecans were wonderfully crispy.  I ended up putting on a 'crust ring' ( to make sure that the crust did not burn) and continuing the cook for ~15 extra minutes to get the filling set.  In all honesty, I am a pecan pie 'purest' and think that next time I will leave out the chocolate...  purely a personal preference.
    Cheers!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I am also curious about the pie. I like to bake breads and desserts. Is there a smoky taste to the pies made in the bge? (mine to be delivered tomorrow)
    Depends on what charcoal you are using. Some are smokier than others. Make sure to allow it to burn for awhile till you see no smoke. I wouldn't recommend cooking a dessert right after a cook where you used a bunch of wood chips/chunks to smoke something as they might still be in your charcoal and will give it a smoke flavor. If that was your previous cook, you might want to pull the charcoal out and start with fresh.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The pie was FANTASTIC!  I had never done dessert on any grill before.  I slight hint of smoke that went well with the bourbon.  The pecans were wonderfully crispy.  I ended up putting on a 'crust ring' ( to make sure that the crust did not burn) and continuing the cook for ~15 extra minutes to get the filling set.  In all honesty, I am a pecan pie 'purest' and think that next time I will leave out the chocolate...  purely a personal preference.
    Cheers!

I love pecan pie, and this makes me want to go up to the store and make them deliver right now!
    BGE Large