Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Temp

Options
2EgginBeagles
2EgginBeagles Posts: 7
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Couple of questions....

1) I usually pull the BB off the egg at 190 degrees, will it dry out if it goes to 200? 

2) I've got a bone in BB on right now, the end without the bone is almost 10 degrees higher in temp than the end with the bone.  Any suggestions on how to handle this?  Do I pull it off the egg when either end hits my target temp (190....unless the answer to question #1 suggests otherwise)? 

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Pull at 190º wrap in foil and dump it in the cooler wrapped in towels fro at least an hour. You'll be fine it's hard to screw up a butt.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Since you have the bone-in butt, the best finish indicator is when the bone pulls clean from the meat.  The temperature for that event can be anywhere from 190-205*F +/-.  Don't worry about the temperature difference across the hunk of meat.  Enjoy the results of your cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.