Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Rib Question...

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I know it's been asked over and over, but I'm struggling with my ribs this afternoon. I normally do 3-2-1 or CarWash Mike's method. Today, I was running late, so I'm improvising. I cooked 2 hrs indirect at 250, wrapped in foil and cooked at 300 for an hour, and now I've cooked another hour at 300 out of the foil. They're starting to get a decent crust, but aren't bending freely yet. At 300, how long do you think before I can sauce and get ready to pull? I have some hungry family starting to give me so mean looks, but I want the ribs to be good more than I want them off the grill quick. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    2 hours at 300, they should be pretty close. I have done spares that never got too bendy, but you just go by how much the meat has shrunk on the bones.

You can try splitting a rack on a bone. If the bone is white looking they are done.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Tell them to eat a small snack. When the ribs are done they will be done. You cant rush any good cook!! IMHO. 
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Give them more beer and something to snack on!

Try slipping a knife in between the bones to see how tender they are.

Good luck!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Tell them to eat a small snack. When the ribs are done they will be done. You cant rush any good cook!! IMHO. 
    So true!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I left them just over 300 for another 30 minutes and sauced. After saucing,another them another 20 minutes, and pulled them. They finally started to pull back on the bone and bent when I picked them up. Even though they turned out to be on under 5 hours, they turned out VERY good. Using a little adjustment with each cook, I swear it's hard to mess up food on this thing. I've accidentally cooked better food in the past few months than I've planned to cook in the past. Thanks for your help!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I left them just over 300 for another 30 minutes and sauced. After saucing,another them another 20 minutes, and pulled them. They finally started to pull back on the bone and bent when I picked them up. Even though they turned out to be on under 5 hours, they turned out VERY good. Using a little adjustment with each cook, I swear it's hard to mess up food on this thing. I've accidentally cooked better food in the past few months than I've planned to cook in the past. Thanks for your help!
    @Mayberry the thing with ribs (just like pulled pork and brisket) is that it is almost impossible to get them done TOO SOON.  They hold for hours when you FTC, so when your schedule permits put them on early and let the ribs wait on you instead of you and your family or guests waiting on the ribs.