Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoke leaking out of egg

Options
Danny
Danny Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my wife gave me an BGE for fathers day. i broke-in the egg last night with outside skirt steaks(they were delicious). there was some smoke leaking out the back of the egg. is that normal or do i have to replace the gasket?
thanks for your help.
danny

Comments

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    danny,[p]I would say normal. It might be where the felt comes together. As long as you can bring temp up, should be no problem. If the top is not mating correctly with the cooker then you may have to re-align the top and bottom. I don't think you can ever get a 100% tight seal. [p]Caney

• Max
    Max Posts: 15
    Options
    danny,[p]I had this same problem. I noticed that when connecting the band to the egg and dome it did not sit completely level. I don't know how to best describe it, but if you looked really closely, you could see a gap between lid and base on the backside while it sat completely flush on the front side. I made an adjustment to mine because I'm Type A and it irritated me, but I haven't noticed any difference in cooking between then and now.
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    danny, re-adjust your bands with the lid closed, and push the back side down a little to get it all snugged up. Mine was that way too until I adjusted it.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    danny,
    No, it is not normal. If you put the egg together yourself you can go back and reseat the lid. Or, if the leak doesn't affect your ability to maintain a low temp (say 225) for hours you can leave it alone till you have nothing better to do. If the dealer the the egg together make sure he gave you the assembly instructions. Reseating the lid is pretty simple but make sure you have the nylon safety lock if you have a spring hinge.

• GrillMan
    GrillMan Posts: 50
    Options
    danny,
    I had the same problem. I noticed the upper band was not sitting flush against the groove in back near the spring. I suspect the plastic thingy restricts the ability to snug the band up in the back. I tried to put the plactic thingy back on to adjust the band but couldn't get it to snap on no maatter what I tried so I just loosened up the band and the lid kind of fell into place with a snug fit. I tightened up the band and it now works great. No more smoke escaping and the egg cools down in half the time it did before I adjusted the band. Good luck.

• Unknown
    Options
    danny,
    I had the same problem as well. I followed all of the great instructions given by the other fine folks and readjusted the bands. This corrected the problem until I opened the lid again and BAM! I had a 1/4 inch gap in the back. It drove my crazy. I am lucky enough to live in Atlanta so I went to BGE store and asked for help. They replaced my spring hinge. Now it works great. I will share that it did not effect the cooking in any way.[p]