Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to do.

Options

Comments

• moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Still getting use to photobucket.
    Bought this corned beef brisket. Was gonna smoke it. Anyone ever done this?
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Smoked corned beef = pastrami. It is great.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    +1
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Hey Hoke- you are correct that smoked corned beef is excellent but smoking corned beef does not make it patrami. Pastrami is simply corned beef with a pepper crust on the outside.

The traditional way to do these is in a braise with the tradtional corned beef spices. Smoke is always a wlecome addition for me though.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    If you do, can you please post pics. I saw one of these at the store other day didn't know what to do to it but I love pastrami

XLBGE 
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Any concern of it becoming too salty? The directions on the bag say to boil it in the plastic. Im wanting to egg it. Was thinking of soaking it first. Thoughts??
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is made to braise (as you can see on the package whenre it says cook in bag). The corned beef spices and some liquid are in the bag and they suggest you boil in bag. This is going to be a very lean cut so it's going to be very difficult to smoke long enough to get tender before drying out. I would do it as the instructions on the bag state and then throw some smoke on after if you want to.
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options

Hey Hoke- you are correct that smoked corned beef is excellent but smoking corned beef does not make it patrami. Pastrami is simply corned beef with a pepper crust on the outside.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't want to provide faulty information. Not unintentionally anyway.

The traditional way to do these is in a braise with the tradtional corned beef spices. Smoke is always a wlecome addition for me though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks for letting me know. I don't want to provide faulty information. Not unintentionally anyway.

no worries. I owned a boar's head deli for a few years so my head is full of uselss deli meat triva :)

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I did pastrami recently and found some useful info here. We really enjoyed the samiches throughout the week!
    Good luck.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hmm- just looked it up and apparently pastrami is smoked and pepper crusted corned beef. Just goes to show- you can always learn. I was taught by my boar's head distributor it was pepper crusted corned beef. Either they were wrong or they don't smoke thiers.

Good call Brownie and Hokie.