Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Photos from lunch

allitnils
allitnils Posts: 109
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I grilled out today. First time in a while, but after yesterday's clean out, it felt good to light the egg up and fill it up with stuff!
I bought a bag of chicory hunks which I've never used before. I think three chunks might be a bit much though; while the chicken tasted fantastic (mostly due to the fact that it was in the egg for less than 10 minutes), the vegetables (which were in the egg for 1.5 hours), were a bit overpowered.
In any case, photos below:
1- starting the cook. Everything works out better with a glass of wine.
2- infusing saffron in milk for the steamed cauliflower puree.
3- Chicken breast, steamed cauliflower and saffron puree, on a balsamic and white wine mushroom reduction, and some wild mushrooms and sautéed onions.
4- the original plan was to cook a baked wheel of brie with rum infused raisins and slivered almonds.
I realised shortly thereafter that I was out of rum, and so I infused the raisins in chai tea instead. They turned out deliciously.
However, I left the cheese in the egg for too long and it kind of just melted completely; had no form at all.
I was skeptical about it anyway, so in case it didn't work out, I baked a chocolate taste with raspberry coolie, which was a bit of a hit. :)

The egg is holding temperature at 250, and has been for the past 9 hours, which I'm rather impressed by..
I'll let it run as long as it wants, to cure the glue properly..

Will be looking forward to the next grill out! 

Comments

• allitnils
    Oh, the one downside..?
    I stink of smoke. :S
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Nice plating on the pie !  The saffron in the milk looks cool too.   =D>
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    by far some of the best plating on this site .... dinners must be amazing too
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Howdy_Doody
    by far some of the best plating on this site .... dinners must be amazing too
    I agree, McStew.   :)
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @Howdy_Doody you are the plating king so OP should really appreciate your compliments!! Check your inbox for a PM I sent you a few days ago.  Thanks
  • Howdy_Doody
    @Howdy_Doody you are the plating king so OP should really appreciate your compliments!! Check your inbox for a PM I sent you a few days ago.  Thanks
    Thanks, Duganboy.  I don't know what a PM is, but I've always appreciated your nice comments.

allitnils plating does look professional though.  This isn't a contest.  I look at it as learning from each other, and giving each other ideas, not only for plating, but for recipes and dishes to cook.  Lots of fantastic talent here, and several are pushing the envelope. That's why I come to this forum.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Wow everything looks great!! 
  • allitnils
    hey! what an overwhelmingly positive response!
    I would imagine that if the title contained key words like "big juicy steak" or "huge butt" it would have received a higher viewing rate than skinless chicken breast, but as it is, I am appreciative of your compliments.
    I love food and figure it's only respectful to what I'm about to eat to make it look as appealing as possible. :P
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Looks great, reminds me of how I cooked prior to children. Now it is how can I get this on the plate and eat it before it gets cold from constantly up and down with the boys! Great job!
  • allitnils
    Thanks @LizzieSamps

Thankfully (Thankfully?? :P) I only have one 4 year old boy, whom I've been trying to teach patience to, so he sits, waiting in anticipation, while I put everything in the plate.

Sometimes it works better than others. :)
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Kudos to you!  Patience is not something most kids these days have!  I have 3 boys 11,9,8 the younger 2 have special needs so they definitely add to the challenge but are blessings none the less.  Just think your boy will no only have patience but also have watched his dad make and present incredible food!  Wins all around!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Phenomenal looking meal. 
    I can attest that the Mrs, and my son don't like smoke in the potatoes, or cauliflower (as you stated probably due to the time in the smoke), 
    but, they don't seem to mind it for squash, an asparagus, although they prefer the latter sauteed with garlic, and EVOO, they don't dis-like it.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • allitnils
    @yazcrash, the potatoes were smoked and I didn't think too highly of them, but the cauliflower was steamed on the stove top.. :)
    Don't know how asparagus would turn out.. How long do you cook it for?
    Whenever I buy it I generally eat it raw.. :P
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

allitnils, are you professionally trained?

What all did you do to chicken before putting on egg?

• allitnils
    @Z_Engineer, lol.. far from it. Although I do watch Gordon Ramsay's cookalongs almost religiously. :P

For the chicken:
    Pat dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
    In a saute pan, heat olive oil, garlic (just cut the whole head in half, horizontally..) and thyme.
    Put the chicken in, a minute on each side, just to get colour/flavor from the garlic/thyme oil.
    Then in the egg for about 10 minutes at 250..

It turned out incredibly moist, for skinless chicken breast, which I was rather impressed with. :)