Well I spent about 2 hours yesterday cleaning my bge and replacing the gasket.
"2 hours?" you ask..
And I'm rather proud of my achievements.
Considering this was the first time I've ever used a wrench (I had to go out to the hardware store and explain what I was doing so the guy could recommend the right tools to use), and sand paper (granted, I helped a friend paint his house once, so I have used sand paper before..)
Came home, pulled it apart, and cleaned out as much as I could from the old gasket.
So, got it as clean as I could, stuck the gasket in, let it sit, with its lid close, overnight.
I finished at around 4, and at 8am the following morning I filled it up with coals, and it's currently sitting just shy of 250, where it'll stay until the lump runs out.
So the menu for today:
Chicken breast marinated in thyme, garlic and lemon juice, served on steamed cauliflower and saffron puree, roasted pumpkin (which will also be going in the egg), and a balsamic and white wine reduction.
For dessert, baked cheese: a wheel of double brie baked with slivered almonds, rum-soaked raisins and lemon zest, baked in the egg. I'm hoping the smoking of the egg isn't too harsh on the cheese and will add to the flavour..
Will make for a good experiment nonetheless. :D
More photos to come.