Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed - first slow butt cook in process!

Options
waynedog
waynedog Posts: 14
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am doing my first slow cook with pork butts - two 8 lb butts - put on last night at 9 pm at 220 dome temp - controlled by DigiQ - meat has been at 163 for the last 2 hours this morning (7:30 - 9:30 am).  I assume this is at the stall - is this normal and can I expect the meat to go up to 195 in the next few hours?  Should I keep the dome temp at 220?  I am in no rush - will eat them tonight.

Thanks

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Cooked 2 butts yesterday, hit a stall about the same place, sat there for a couple of hours the progressed. Turned out to be one of the best tasting I have made (this was first one for new egg). Be patient you will be rewarded !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

Every thing sounds perfect ... you have plenty of time  ... crack a cold one and enjoy the day!

Cheers!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    my cooks are generally 235ish grid, and once I see the butts moving out the stall, I figure about 2 hours till 195-200 internal and poppin' 'em in the cooler........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Sounds like your in great shape! If they finish early wrap in Foil, towel, then put them in a cooler. They'll stay toasty for several hours. (but if youve read anything about pp on here you know that already!)
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • waynedog
    Options
    I am now at 14 hours of cook at 220 dome and meat temp will not rise above 162 - has been there for 4 hours now (at least).  How long should I wait until I increase cook temperature above 220?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Don't touch it unless you are in a hurry They can stall for 5-6 hours at that temp. Youve done the hard part. Just chill and let the egg do its thing.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggucated
    Options
    Wayne, checking in, how's the temp? Break out of the plateau yet?
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • waynedog
    Options
    Never did break the 160 plateau (16 hours on the egg at 220 dome temp).  Stayed right at 160 for 6+ hours.  So I wrapped in foil and put in the oven at 300 - took 2 1/2 hours to get to 195 internal temp.  Tasted great.  Perhaps I should have cooked at >220 dome temp? 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i do about 260. Like I said above, at that low dome temp they can cook and stall forever. It would have come out soon but I have had some long stalls at low temps.

Glad it worked out

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I did 3 ten pound butts Memorial Day at 225 dome temp. Stalled at 145 for over 7 hours, and took almost 27 hours to finish, after wrapping in foil at 170. Finally got them to 200 degrees. They turned out fantastic, however next time I'll bump the dome temp up to 250 - 260.
    Options
    I had an 8lb butt take 24 hours. That cook convinced my wife I needed the PartyQ so I could get some sleep!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    My dome temp is usually about 25 degrees more than my grid. Now I admit that I have never calibrated my thermo on the egg.  I didn't realize this until I got a DigiQ and did the first butt @225 temp with the pit probe and my dome read about 260 the whole time. 
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I don't turbo cook them, but I at least cook butts at 250 dome. They truly turn out great, and usually cook beginning to end at around 12 to 14 hours for an 8 lber. Briskets I'll cook at 230 for the duration, but not pork.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe