Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very tempted...need ideas from you all

mrjwhit
mrjwhit Posts: 83
edited June 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I've been going around the block about a table. At one time I was going to re purpose some old furniture at one time. Then I decided to buy a table. After a trip to Home Depot for another project I realized that wood isn't that expensive. So know I'm sitting here looking at the plans for a Large BGE table. It looks very easy and that's very tempting to me. I'm pretty solid on woodworking. I could do it in a day if I got Home Depot to cut all my pieces. If they cut it all for me it's really just a matter of putting it together. Even if they charged me it wouldn't be as much as buying a table. Give me some ideas. Should I take the plunge or should I just buy a one from one of the table dealers in my area? 
Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Use the savings of building a table versus buying to buy a power miter box.  It makes it easy to make the boards to length and make 30* and 45* cuts.  You won't need HD to cut your boards and you'll  have it for your next project.  Something like this $100 on sale

It's not as nice a table saw, but it is easier to store if your space is limited.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • mrjwhit
    Use the savings of building a table versus buying to buy a power miter box.  It makes it easy to make the boards to length and make 30* and 45* cuts.  You won't need HD to cut your boards and you'll  have it for your next project.  Something like this $100 on sale

It's not as nice a table saw, but it is easier to store if your space is limited.
    So what you're saying is "after buying a grill that you cook on everyday, you should buy a tool to help you store said grill." Yeah, my wife's not your friend at all. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Even if it costs me more,I prefer to have things I've built myself.  But that's me (and I don't have a wife).   ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

So what you're saying is "after buying a grill that you cook on everyday, you should buy a tool to help you store said grill." Yeah, my wife's not your friend at all. 
    check local Lowe's or Home Depot about renting a saw, it might be cheaper. I am in saame boat with the wife, lol. Look at accessories and she flips out.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I think I peed a little !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Yea, my wife has a love hate relationship with this whole forum.
    She likes the cooks, recipes, and ideas, but the "stuff" is killing her.
    personally I would rather spend the money on the saw and build what I want, but for me its all about time and work space.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • mrjwhit
    I'm going to work on a few "Honey do's" while I'm on Summer break. I've priced it out and I'm pretty sure sometime in August I'll be posting pics of my new table. On a side note, I wonder how I can sell my "nest". Have seen a ton of them on CL and they're not selling. Any ideas? 
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Home depots cuts are never perfect. Plan to cut yourself or go to a lumber yard.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Seriously good advice right here.  Once you have one, you'll find all kinds of other uses for it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    +1 build your own no doubt. Buy nice tools and then you'll have them for the table for your second egg ;)

XLBGE 
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Home depots cuts are never perfect. Plan to cut yourself or go to a lumber yard.
    +1
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Can you get by okay with just a chop saw?
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Can you get by okay with just a chop saw?
    That depends on what you're building and what you're building it from.  I'd say with a decent chop saw and a decent circular saw, you'll cover an awful lot of ground.
  • mrjwhit
    What would be your wood recommendation? I live in Atlanta and the weather is all over the place. (This week is going to be 100+) I do eventually plan to have a BGE cover, but for the time being I'll probably put a tarp over it. Where the Egg will be sitting will get a lot of direct sun in the late afternoon to evening. Thoughts? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    if she complains about buying the saw..... sell the vacuum.  and buy a good one, its an importance item for a home workshop
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • mrjwhit
    I did it. I built my table. I didn't follow the traditional route. I used all reclaimed wood. It was left over from an old barn and fence. I didn't cut a hole, I left it square. There is a possibility that I'll do the triangles to give the egg a little less wiggle room. Right now I'm about to sand and plane it, then paint. It looks really good. I'll post pics after I'm done.