Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New owner of an XL

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Jason here from McKinney Texas.

Well, I'm officially a part of the Egghead Nation. After countless hours and hands on research, I picked up my new XL, plate setter, nest, shelves, ash tool, grate holder, 2 bags of Ozark lump, rib / roast rack, and four bottles of different Dizzy Pig rubs!

Got the egg home and assembled on my own. Everything went fairly smooth. The bands are a bit tricky, and I'm slightly concerned about the seal after many adjustments and the dollar bill test. Most of my gaps were in the back, but after a few tries I think I've got it sealed well. I did manage to bust a clinch stud after over tightening the rear hinge bracket. Im thinking I'll be ok with that one gone until I'm able to replace it. I've noticed that when I gingerly let the dome down, the dollar slides easier in spots, but if I let it fall with a bit of force, the seal seems better.

Tomorrow I plan on firing her up for the first time. Is there any distinct things I should look for as far as the gap is concerned? I'm thinking if I have a bad seal, I'll have smoke billowing from the gaskets. Should there be zero smoke, a little?

Is a burn-in truly necessary or can I get right to cooking? I'd hate to waste lump if I didn't have to.

Can't wait to get started! We are thinking steaks, baked beans, sweet corn on the cob, and fresh green beans for tomorrow nights cook.

Comments