Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Chicken on the BGE - 1st Time - any suggestions on the best way??

Options
JKL
JKL Posts: 20
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am doing two small chickens on my large BGE tomorrow for the first time. I like BBQing chickens in the vertical position. Is this a good way to do on the BGE and is the plate setter a good idea as well? I want to brine then BBQ. So excited. :)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited June 2012
    Options

I used to be in your camp then found "spatchcock chicken" at the following site-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken and have never looked back.  BTW-TNW's main site is a great place to learn about ceramic cooking and many things related.  Great reference-

As for how to cook-I go raised grid, direct at around 350-400*F (wherever it settles) until about 160-165 in the breast and 180+ in the thighs (50-60 mins depending on size of the chix).  I put the legs toward the back of the BGE-naturally hotter-but do ice the breasts for around 20 mins before starting the cook.  Best you will have-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Nothing wrong with doing them vertical, but I'd save the beer for the cook/chef. Beer Can Chicken De-bunked (again....Naked Whiz also has an article on this.)

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/debunking_beer_can_chicken.html

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options

I used to be in your camp then found "spatchcock chicken" at the following site-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken and have never looked back.  BTW-TNW's main site is a great place to learn about ceramic cooking and many things related.  Great reference-

As for how to cook-I go raised grid, direct at around 350-400*F (wherever it settles) until about 160-165 in the breast and 180+ in the thighs (50-60 mins depending on size of the chix).  I put the legs toward the back of the BGE-naturally hotter-but do ice the breasts for around 20 mins before starting the cook.  Best you will have-

x2!  Spatch is my preferred method for chicken now.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I put mine in Brine overnight then rinse them the next day and apply my seasonings then I cooked them at 350 degrees for about 2hrs. and 15min. I had three of them on the egg. So the breast is about 160 and the thigh is about 180. They came out very good on some vertical racks from Wal-Mart.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I like spatchcock / direct / 400 / raised with a little pecan/cherry chips about an hour

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    I spatchcocked my first chickens last weekend.  Definitely the best chicken i ever had. Cooked perfectly thanks to the thermapen!  I did not brine them, or marinade, but they were great.  rub them with some raising the steaks, and that was it.  i don't think you can go wrong if you control the temp, and use the egg!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Last weekend cooked first spatchcock, very good, brined overnite,put on raised grill direct for just over an hour at just over 350. Very moist and full of flavor, and very easy.

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Spatch! You won't regret it.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Spatchcock convert here!!!!
    LBGE
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Spatch here as well. However, if you are dead set on verticle roasting, google Kama Sutra Chicken. Never tried it but heard raves about it on that other egg forum a long time ago....
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • JC_EggRookie
    Options
    I agree about the spatchcock method. My first real cook on the BGE on the 4th and it came out great. Brined over night and went about 350 for an hour and 10. I would have liked the skin a bit crisper, but that will come with better planning on my part. I need to find a more secure way of raising the grid. The 3 bricks in the pic above looks like a winner.
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

@JC_EggRookie-Empty (key word!) beer cans work well til you decide (or not) to go after-market.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Beer cans won't work if you do them inverted B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Spatch convert here, did it a week ago, best chicken ever!
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    The three bricks worked well to raise the grid. 48 cents ea at Lowe's. Cheapest purchase you will ever make for your egg.......
    LBGE
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I have not yet tried the spatch chicken and I WILL, BUT my family just loves the beer can chicken so much and it also has a sentimental place in my extended family (I have a brother who passed away who loved making it and in fact it was the last meal he made).  We are having a get together next Tuesday and I will make beer can chicken for that.  One of the people coming is thinking about getting an Egg and he is a big beer aficionado so he will get a kick out it (there is a novelty about it that it great). I don't use a stand- just the can...(I have some aluminum can concerns about that but I have so many gadgets floating around my kitchen I don't want a chicken stand- how do you even store that thing??)  I make sure the chickens are small (preferably less than 4 pounds) and I season them with white wine, soy sauce, good mustard and fresh garlic that I shave with a cheese grater.  I cook them indirect around 400 degrees raised grid for about an hour.  I turn them around on the vertical axis once in the middle of the cook.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs