Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

another note to self......

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
did burgers and brats last night.  started with burgers on lower slider then flipped and moved up to top grid with brats.  had a purdy good fire going with plenty of smoke from the grease dropping.... 

removed the burgers and shut all the vents to let the brats go a little longer.  smoke kept leaking from the  dome and first thought, oh the perfect flashback scenario.....burped the egg, opened it about 4 inches and could only see smoke.....second thought.....oh, there's a flashback brewing down there......after a couple seconds smoke started clearing and before I could get to thought three.......ya, you guested it......I'm a knucklehead as I brushed off all the fried hair.......lol

brats turned out great though.....

note to self....where there is smoke there is fire, knucklehead......
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    TJ, can you make a recommendation as to what I should buy form the cgs? I have a newer XL and want to be able to WOK, and also have multiple levels of cooking surface and a possible swing out if possible.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Hey Tom, maybe the flash gave the brats a nice crisp for the skin.
    Question when shutting all the vents, do you notice some "bad" smoke?
    Then again, I guess not since you do it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bigger question: what time is dinner?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

I have only completely shut the BGE down when cooking twice and both times yielded the "bad smoke" to which you refer.  Now, if I need a couple of minutes more on something, I will occassionally shut the lower vent but leave the DFMT where it initially was-no bad smoke.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Hey Tom, maybe the flash gave the brats a nice crisp for the skin.
    it's a gamble closing the vents.  That's why I took the burgers out first.  With brats, I figure they are all fat anyway, so not much to loose.  I had them running like that for maybe 5 minutes......

michigan_jason, probably best to call me... number is on the site.

Mickey,  got 'em for lunch today too......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    Hey Tom, just received the R&B combo you sent me and I have to say well done on packing it, everything arrived in great condition even the oval stone! I can't wait to try it out as soon as I get my replacement base, Thankyou for all your help and patience. I couldn't help but giggle a bit reading your post... I'm a full member of the order of singed hair!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    BTW, I got my r&b combo oval with spider and extender last night. Everything packed great. Can't wait to take away all that shininess with a massive cook.
    thanks
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!