Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu/Kobe read before you buy.

mroehl
mroehl Posts: 16
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I came across a very interesting article in Forbes it's called (Foods Biggest Scam: the Kobe beef lie.) I'm not on the competition BBQ circuit and the regular old brisket I use always turns out fine but with all the talk about Wagyu and Kobe I wanted to give it a go but decided against it after reading the article. I think you should check it out before you drop allot of money it's a pretty good read.

Just Google( Forbes foods biggest scam )it's in 3 parts

Comments

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Thanks for bringing this up, Very good read. 
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    He makes good points, especially on the beef.  On the other things, I would say very good sparkling wines, brandies, etc can be produced outside the original region.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I believe this is the article that aided with all of the hubbub from a similar thread last week. Basically, know who you're getting your Wagyu from, because it's really not regulated or certified, and there is no such thing as Kobe beef in America... BUT, if it's a really good cut of beef with fantastic marbling, who cares what you call it.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I had Kobe beef in Japan. That being said exceptional article. Thanks for the awareness.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Yawn... Next topic. 
  • Great read! I've been watching BBQ Pitmasters and they hype up Wagyu big time. Prime is fine with me! I lived in Okinawa and had Kobe beef many times and I'll take a US T-bone over Kobe any day. I cooked for some locals using US imported beef (military) and they loved it and could not stop talking about it, they even took pictures, lol. It's all about how it prepared!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Kobe=MEH! Its like smoking a Cuban to a Dominican. I would say its a staus quo thing and thats it.

Stick with Prime and you will be OK. And who wants to eat a cow who has had its ass massaged by 100 Samurai.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    And who wants to eat a cow who has had its ass massaged by 100 Samurai.

LOL
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    edited June 2012
    I only use USDA Super Prime, because to me Prime just isn't what it was 11 months ago.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Hmmm I've never heard of Super Prime. 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Well if you had, I'd talk about the Super Duper Prime I use on special occasions ;)

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I'm from Texas and live in NC,

Choice yields superior results for true brisket cooks.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Well if you had, I'd talk about the Super Duper Prime I use on special occasions ;)

LMFAO :P

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you want interesting reads google feeding cows corn to raise the meat rating. I was kind of clueless about all this until I started looking for a local place to get grass fed meat and ran across article after article about how our meat grading system is basically worthless. All they have to do is feed the cows corn longer to increase the fat content and get a better rating like prime and the meat can be flavorless due to all the corn just pumping up the cows weight and fat content and not being allowed to eat grass long enough. Me personally I will pay for good meat and could care less what it is called. I have a store by me that sells snake river farms American Kobe at $35 a pound and when I am there I always pick some up. The $20 a pound prime steaks I have gotten from butchers can't come close to comparing to this stuff so to me its worth the money.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Kobe=MEH! Its like smoking a Cuban to a Dominican. I would say its a staus quo thing and thats it.

Stick with Prime and you will be OK. And who wants to eat a cow who has had its ass massaged by 100 Samurai.

Thats a tough one for me...   They took all those seeds from cuba over to dominican republic to grow tobacco.   But I think the soil must be different or something.   Sure seems like a Cuban is smoother than a dominican.  

Cookin in Texas
  • I believe this is the article that aided with all of the hubbub from a similar thread last week. Basically, know who you're getting your Wagyu from, because it's really not regulated or certified, and there is no such thing as Kobe beef in America... BUT, if it's a really good cut of beef with fantastic marbling, who cares what you call it.

Yeah, I was right in the middle of that other hot mess. Very well stated Trout, and in my mind totally correct. Whatever they call it does not matter. It's great beef (in most cases) and you should try it if you can find a reliable source. I was trying to make that point in the other thread but I did a horrible job of it. I guess calling it a scam as my first sentence probably sunk my credibility on the subject :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871

Thats a tough one for me...   They took all those seeds from cuba over to dominican republic to grow tobacco.   But I think the soil must be different or something.   Sure seems like a Cuban is smoother than a dominican.  

I just smoked my last Cuban last night (It was pretty smoth). Hope no one on here turns me in.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    My cigar consumption has been drastically reduced of late,  but I still love a good one now and again.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Newportlocal
    Dominican cigars don't taste like Cubans to me with the exception of Padron Anniversarios and Fuente Hemingways aren't too bad. Give me a Cohiba esplendido or robusto,montecristo #' 2 or A, partagas Lusitania, Romeo and Juliet Churchill,etc. My consumption is almost nil compared to the old days, but for the time you are smoking it you are king of all you survey. :D
  • TUTTLE871
    Fuente Hemmingway is mine of choice. Just In case my birthday is coming up. Hint Hint.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Newportlocal
    Fuente Hemmingway is mine of choice. Just In case my birthday is coming up. Hint Hint.

:D sounds good. If you ever get a chance try a Padron Anniversario. It's the only non Cuban that truly tastes perfect. Although Rudy Rahman has a shop down in Tijuana with ones that come really close. His shop got a lot of hollywood actor traffic when they filmed Titanic down by Rosarito pics and autographs all over the walls now. Lots of fake Cubans down there, but his were all real. Loved his cuban coffee too.I knew him before his shop when I used to move some Cuban cigars from TJ to studio city and Beverly hills. I had a lot of fun.
  • TUTTLE871
    Got a couple of the Padrons sitting in humidor now, that's always the parents gift (cigars and scotch).

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Newportlocal
    edited June 2012
    Padrons or padron anniversarios they are different. If they are padron anniversarios you are a lucky man. Truly the best non Cuban . If I was still hanging out in studio city it would be easy to get you Cubans even Davidoff Dom Perignons with Cuban tobacco. Schwartzenneger has a bunch. I think Nazareth's cigars in Beverly hills may still have some. I always liked Cohiba esplindidos the best. I am a sucker for the bands and they were made for Fidel. Certainly have no intention of coming across cocky or arrogant. I have been fortunate in my life experiences in many ways and the people I have associated with.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    I was going to smoke a Cuban once, but he got away.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I believe this is the article that aided with all of the hubbub from a similar thread last week. Basically, know who you're getting your Wagyu from, because it's really not regulated or certified, and there is no such thing as Kobe beef in America... BUT, if it's a really good cut of beef with fantastic marbling, who cares what you call it.

Yeah, I was right in the middle of that other hot mess. Very well stated Trout, and in my mind totally correct. Whatever they call it does not matter. It's great beef (in most cases) and you should try it if you can find a reliable source. I was trying to make that point in the other thread but I did a horrible job of it. I guess calling it a scam as my first sentence probably sunk my credibility on the subject :))

If you want to hear something really unbelievable, I got a 10 pound choice packer brisket in Madison, WI today.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    The only beef in the US that comes close to being authentic is the Akaushi beef from Heartbrand.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akaushi  The herd was imported from Japan in the early 90's and has been kept genetically pure.  They still don't raise it to be as marbled as the beef seen in Japan - probably because we wouldn't know how to eat it and they might not have a market for their product.  I have a freezer full of the stuff and while it's great, I'm not sure I can't get a very similar product from other hybrid sources in the US for a lot cheaper.

This uber-marbled beef has to be handled carefully and barely cooked/warmed up IMO.  With the BGE, you have to bee extremely careful.  The idea is that the outside needs a bit of cooking and the inside just needs the fat warmed up enough so that it's soft.  You would incinerate this stuff using any kind of T-Rex method.

I tell people all the time to ignore the terms Kobe and Wagyu other than to consider them descriptors.  You have to trust the person/business selling you the stuff that it has any value.  And yes, with any ground meat product called Kobe or Wagyu, the business/person should be ashamed that they put one of these labels on it.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Well folks I know this has been beat up but just watched a show tonight "Destination America-United States of Burgers". They stated that a restruant in NYC (Old Homestead) sells a Kobe burger! As anyone knows by reading this thred, you can't get Kobe in the States. Just another example of false advertisement. Sell a burger for $50.00 when it's only worth $10.00 (just guessing).
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I have a pal that raises Angus locally and once a year get a 1/2 beef from him.  He keeps them pastured, but supplements corn in their diet.  Probably the best of both worlds, grass and corn fed.  Fabulous flavor and excellent texture.  Iowa's weather can really suck, but it is hard to find better beef, pork or sweet corn.  
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa