Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the big green egg

Options
Donwon9999
Donwon9999 Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my big green egg used from the dealer .. it was the demo.

I have kept the grilled clean and empty the ashes from time to time.

How do you clean up the egg? I look at some of the pics on the postings and peoples eggs are quite clean. Should one take it fully apart and wash down?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Don't take it apart.

Load it up and cook something. When your cook is finished, crank up the egg to around 600 for an hour. Put grids, platesetter, pizza stone, DFMT, etc in the Egg for cleaning. After the Egg cools, take some HDAF and make a wad to rub down the parts and inside of the Egg.

If you put the DFMT in during the cleaning burn to clean the gunk off, you may want to spray it with Pam afterward.
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Options
    Further to Frank's comments, the next day, after the egg has cooled down, use a ball of tin foil on the inside and you will scrap away alot of the now burned up gunk. You can also remove your fire ring and box then shop vac it.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    That is where most people talk about "burning off" their egg. It gets rid of the grease build up in the dome and other places.

Here is a before:
    002.jpg

And here is the after:
    001.jpg
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    looks great. how do i easily put pics on here like you did?
    thanks
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Open a free photobucket account. Load your pictures onto your computer or directly from camera to Photobucket, then when they have loaded you get FOUR file naming conventions to pick from for various types of use...this forum requires the "img" convention, you copy and past that into the message section of the posting section, preview and submit. The Naked Whiz has a tutorial on his site.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Is there any real reason to clean the egg like this? I always scoop out the ashes but other than that, I've never cleaned my egg.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Doing a clean burn will remove the "smoke/grease" from the interior. If your only a meat cooker there is really no reason.
    If you cook breads and pizza, you may find that these absorb too much of past cook flavors.
    Kent Madison MS
  • amywitz
    amywitz Posts: 1
    Options
    if you get it up to that high temperature for cleaning don't you run the risk of burning out the felt seal thingy? 

Also what do you use to clean the outside parts of the egg (you know the green part that looks like an umpalumpa from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and the black parts? 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    if you get it up to that high temperature for cleaning don't you run the risk of burning out the felt seal thingy? 

Also what do you use to clean the outside parts of the egg (you know the green part that looks like an umpalumpa from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and the black parts? 
    I've never cleaned the outside of mine, other than to wipe it down with a cloth.  15 years and it looks great.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    That is where most people talk about "burning off" their egg. It gets rid of the grease build up in the dome and other places.

Here is a before:

002.jpg

And here is the after:

001.jpg
    Have done the clean burn at 600* for more than an hr and scraped the inside of the dome and everything In the LBGE that I could get my hand on and never ended up with my egg looking this cln. Used balled up HDAF to scrape/rub. Not worried about it at all...still cooks better than any gasser.

War Eagle
    :\"> :|

Opelika, Alabama
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Doing a clean burn will remove the "smoke/grease" from the interior. If your only a meat cooker there is really no reason.

If you cook breads and pizza, you may find that these absorb too much of past cook flavors.
    That's the way I look at it, since I'm basically a meat & veggies guy.  Until things stick together or dried grease starts to flake off, I see no reason to worry about doing a clean burn.  I empty the bottom when it gets too full, typically after I've burned through a bag, and keep on cooking. :) 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    looks great. how do i easily put pics on here like you did?

thanks

Upload to photobucket, click the "URL" on photobucket (it will auto copy it for you) Then click the picture button on the message window 3rd button from the right. Delete all content inside it (http://) then paste your copied link from the photobucket page.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    Is there any real reason to clean the egg like this? I always scoop out the ashes but other than that, I've never cleaned my egg.
    x2...seems like a waste of perfectly good lump to me.