Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Dogs and Tots

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Somehow, even being in Hot-lanta, I think Mrs. G knew I was up to something last night. When I told her I was making a giant cookie, she asked what I was having for dinner. I think she knew I probably would have just eaten that. So I promised her I would eat something......I just didn't say it would be healthy.  :lol:

With a side of Bulleit, my new favorite bourbon.

Might not have been healthy, might not have been fancy, but it sure was good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Great idea doing the tots in aluminum foil on the egg!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Great looking cook. I've heard great things about Bulleit. What did it replace as your favorite?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Options
    Now, that's a meal fit for a king !!!!  What kind of chili?  For hot dogs, I've never found anything that beats Wolf Brand.  I guess it's because I grew up with it.  :)
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Wolf Brand!  Hard to find in Atlanta but when I do, I buy a dozen cans.  My wife thought Hormel Chili was great, until she tried a can of Wolf Brand.

Dang, now I want Chili Cheese Tot's...  I hate it when I'm not working from home and it's lunch time.

Griffin, I think you've inspired my dinner tonight!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Now, that's a meal fit for a king !!!!  What kind of chili?  For hot dogs, I've never found anything that beats Wolf Brand.  I guess it's because I grew up with it.  :)
    If I had to get canned, I had to get Hormel, now thanks to this forum, I now need to try Wolf Brand chili. (still waiting to open my bottle of Crystal hot sauce) .
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    Options

My favorite was Wild Turkey 101, still like it, but the 101 is starting to kick my but more.

Have to say it was Hormel. I just like it better than Wolf, although its been years since I've had Wolf, maybe I need to go back and compare. I actually grew up on Wolf brand but switched to Hormel after college.

Glad I could inspire you Eggucated. Notice I made 4 dogs? The other two and some chili were brought to work today for lunch. Now that's thinking ahead. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I do hot dogs for the kids and chili dogs for the wife, but I love the tater tot idea hadn't thought of that. I will be eggin some tater tots this week. Thanks for the idea.
  • Griffin
    Options
    Just follow the instructions on the bag. I think these were 450 for 16 minutes-ish, flip halfway.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Yep:

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Griffin. At the Salado Fest Lawn Ranger left 2 bags of the HEB half size tots. It is like you cut your tot in half, get real crisp. That is all I buy now (nice to have started off with two free bags).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Good ideas.  But what is the ketchup there for?  Hopefully only the tots...  Which Bulleit do you like?  We are loving the Rye.  This might be blasphemy, but could add filtered water to your 101 for less buttkick.
  • Griffin
    Options

Mickey, we don't have HEBs here, just Central Market and they don't carry tots. :(

Z - I don't know. The one with the orange label. I'll check when I get home. I tried Turkey 80, but I just didn't care for the taste of it. I end up getting stupid if I partake too much of the 101 and regret it the next day. We just had a store called Spec's open here in Dallas and they have great prices on "some" of their bourbons. Turkey and Jack are the same price, but where other stores wanted $50 for a 1.75 of Bulleit, they charge $36. $38 for makers and Buffalo was $35. Great prices compared to other stores and they have two prices....a cheaper price for cash or debit and more if you use credit card.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Options
    Sorry, alway forget you are in Dallas :-t

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    I think the Orange label is the standard bourbon.  That was the first good bourbon I had before I knew I liked it.  Green label is rye and also super good.  < 40 for a 1.75 of bourbon you like is a great deal IMO
  • Griffin
    Options
    Yeah, I ain't happy about it. Someday we'll get farther down south. The goal is to get back to our hometown of Corpus.

Rowlett, Texas

• Howdy_Doody
    Options
    Yeah, I ain't happy about it. Someday we'll get farther down south. The goal is to get back to our hometown of Corpus.
    Corpus was Howard E. Butts hometown.  I'm sure they have an HEB.   :-j
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I do tator tots in a non stick cake pan. The egg really gives them a great texture that my oven never could. My kids think they taste great (and so do I). Looks good........need to look for Wolf brand now.
  • Howdy_Doody
    Options
    Since several of you are going to check out Wolf's Brand, I have two recommendations.

First, they have now the option of buying it WITH beans.  That is not the historical chili and I'd definitely not recommend that for hot dogs.

The other is that I also grew up on Wolf Brand chili over a bed of rice.  Mom wasn't much of a cook, so we had this quite often.  Actually, when my wife is out of town, I'll often still have it for supper.

Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Griffin
    Options
    Corpus was Howard E. Butts hometown.  I'm sure they have an HEB.   :-j
    Actually, that's all they have in Corpus. They drove out all competition years ago.

Rowlett, Texas

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Thanks Howdy. I think it's tough to beat chili on a baked potato. I can't make a pot of chili without three sides to go with it. Hot dogs, baked potatoes and corn chips. These three things make a chili grand slam for me.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited June 2012
    Options
    HEB's first store was in Kerrville TX.  When I was growing up our neighborhood HEB had register chits.  Mom would send us to the store to get something, they would write the item and the cost on our chit, then call at EOM the tally owed. That practice almost cost them the business until the sons took over and changed to cash only basis.  The other family schism occured when was decided to sell beer in the stores.  
    Gebhardts Chili con Carne or Wolf Brand chili cheese burger topped with crushed Fritos was a summer grill fav when we were kids. Only better burger was to go down to MR Sill''s Snack Shack and get a been burger-yummo! 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Howdy_Doody
    Options
     The other family schism occured when was decided to sell beer in the stores.  

Howard E. Butt was a big Baptist, and you know the "official" Baptist position on drinking (they only do it when the drapes are drawn).  He came to our church when I was a kid and gave the sermon when we had a revival.   I can see the problem for HEB not selling wine and beer, when Kroger down the street was.  The same thing happened to Randall's in Houston.  He eventually sold out to Safeway, rather than relent to the Devil's brew, and consequently go out of business.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Griffin
    Options
    Never take one Baptist fishing, they'll drink all your beer. Take two, they won't touch a drop. =))

Rowlett, Texas