Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Rub Question

Options
fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I found a local Dizzy Pig dealer and here is what they carry in stock:

Raging River
Dizzy Dust
Tsunami Spin
Cow Lick
Jamaican
Raising the steaks

I am for sure getting a bottle of Raging River, and Dizzy Dust. What else do you guys tend to use on here and what do you use it for? I am looking for something to go on a pork shoulder for the 4th of July.

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Dizzy Dust coarse grind would be great.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I agree on the Dizzy Dust coarse (if available) for your shoulder. The Tsunami Spin leans more towards a teriyaki flavor, the Jamaican Firewalk is a jerk-type seasoning, and the other two are geared more towards beef.

I have to buy the Raging River Rub in the quart size containers, as I go through so much of it, it's more economical, for me to buy it in bulk.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tsunami Spin is awesome for lamb and chicken.

The Naked Whiz
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Red Eye Express is one of my top sellers. With coffee mixed in the rub it adds a nice flavor on lamb and beef. One to really consider.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Cow Lick is good on steaks or mix 50/50 with turbinado sugar for brisket (from the DP website). Dizzy Dust would probably be good on your pork butt.
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    My two favorites are Tsunami Spin and Cow Lick. TS for chicken and fish and Cow Lick for beef.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Tsunami Spin is awesome for lamb and chicken.

+1. And pork and.......whatever else

It's awesome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like them all. Firewall is great but very spicy. If you don't like heat, leave that one off your list.
  • BankerJohn
    Options
    Tsunami Spin for chicken.
    Weekend job: husband, father, camper, outdoorsman, Big Geen Egg Eddict. In my day job, I provide financial peace of mind to business owners, retirees and professsional entertainers/athletes, serving as a trusted advisor, guiding clients through a defined process to help them preserve, protect, grow and successfully transfer their wealth. Call for your free private briefing: 352-422-one six zero six. Thought for the day: "Life is like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." - Anonymous Banker John aka John McCullough, CRPC
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Options

Love Raising the Steaks on Steaks.....it is a amped up version of montreal steak seasoning.  I have all the rubs but use this one the most.

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options

Love Raising the Steaks on Steaks.....it is a amped up version of montreal steak seasoning.  I have all the rubs but use this one the most.

Mixed some Raisin' the Steaks in some 80/20 ground chuck for burgers...turned out really good. DP is good stuff ! 

Opelika, Alabama
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I love Jamacain Firewalk (nice heat) and Tsunami Spin is fantastic too.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Tsunami and Raging were my favs
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I did the Dizzy Dust on a pork shoulder this past weekend and it was not spicy at all (kids loved, but I didn't).  I like a little "bite" to my food.  The flavor was good though.  I like Byron's Butt Rub better than the Dizzy Dust.  8 lb shoulder took just over 13 hours, 250 dome temp, 190 ish internal. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did the Dizzy Dust on a pork shoulder this past weekend and it was not spicy at all (kids loved, but I didn't).  I like a little "bite" to my food.  The flavor was good though.  I like Byron's Butt Rub better than the Dizzy Dust.  8 lb shoulder took just over 13 hours, 250 dome temp, 190 ish internal. 
    Just add a little cayenne if you like the flavor if Dizzy Dust and want some heat.

I like Bad Byron's and some others too but use a lot of Dizzy

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I use dizzy a lot as well. Tried to keep the heat down for the kids and it tasted great.  I may do a half and half rub next time and mark it.  
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93