Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

opportunity to purchase early clay bge?

Options
mwraulst
mwraulst Posts: 131
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello all.  I have the opportunity to purchase a xl big green egg (early clay) for 200 bucks. Is this a good deal? What is this "early" clay mean?

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I can't answer the question about early clay but for that price I'd say go for it
    Boom
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't remember there being an XL in the clay ones. I think they only had the large but could be wrong. The clay ones weren't meant to go much over 400*
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    They switched to the ceramics due to number of issues with the clay- I also am pretty sure they didn't make an xl in clay
    Greensboro, NC
  • Little Steven
    Options

From BGE Website

American serviceman and entrepreneur Ed Fisher was one of those guys who discovered the domed clay cooker while overseas. He was amazed at how much better food cooked in the device tasted, and he began to import them for his friends and associates. When Ed Fisher first opened the Big Green Egg store in Atlanta in 1974, he sold a simple cooking device made of fire-clay, which was based on the same design and materials that had been used for thousands of years. Despite the great results they produced, these original cookers became fragile after a few years of use and exposure to the elements.

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options
    thank you thank you, i don't have any way of keeping it protected so that means a big no for me.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I'm not sure there was a "clay" XL. I would research that - I mean if it's really an XL it probably isn't clay and you might be getting a really good deal.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.