Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many wings on a large?

Options
jimi1234
jimi1234 Posts: 101
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Roughly how many pounds of wings can I fit on the grid on a LBGE? 

Also, do you do your wings direct or indirect? I am planning on filling two grids, with the first raised on the woo and the second raised higher on a grid extender. I was thinking 400 direct. 

But now I've been thinking that with that many wings, there might be a ton of fat dripping onto to the coals and it might really smoke them out (I'm using Griffin's jerk marinade so don't want to over power that). Should I consider 400 indirect with a drip pan instead?

Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I do the drip pan with a little water to avoid the burning grease and do them indirect 375-400.  Have never cooked more than 30 or so on one grate so no idea of max capacity.  Cut tips off and you get more.  I usually go 45 minutes or so turning once or twice.  sometimes I use the hanging racks and can get 2 racks on large and they each hold 15 wings or legs.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    I do about 30 +/- ... direct & raised.

Chicken Wings
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have done 48 wings on the large with the adjustable rig indirect.  350 for ~2 hours(flipping 1/2 way through). 

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    I can get 5lbs (probably a little more but that's the most I've bought) of wings on my large.  I go indirect (plate setter legs up) 350-400 usually 30-45 minutes I think.  I usually toss a couple chunks of Pecan or Apple wood in for the smoke.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Options
    I always cook my wings on a Woo3, direct, at 400 degrees. I'm cooking from frozen, so I can't reliably tell you how much wings in weight, but it's 24 pieces (flats and drumettes) on the first level, and another 16-18 on the Woo extender. I've never had a problem with flare-ups during the cook, though sometimes, things get a little warm, while I'm flipping and seasoning.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • milkman5083
    milkman5083 Posts: 100
    Options
    I just did 60 the other day.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I have a woo extender. About 60 would be all I'd do but that's two levels. I do indirect 350-400

XLBGE 
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for the tips all. It sounds like either way would work alright. I like the idea of direct to get a bit of char on them but I assume you have to flip them around a couple times. I wonder how hard that might be using two racks (specifically the lower rack). 

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions. It's a hard life I tell ya :-). 

If anybody has done multiple racks direct, any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Jimi1234
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I can fit roughly 50 wings with the Pswoo3 and extender.

The ones in the picture were cooked direct @ 400 for 45 minutes without flipping.

I did a few batches after that @ 350-375 for 30 minutes, they were perfect.