Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

typical introduction message

allitnils
allitnils Posts: 109
edited June 2012 in Weight Loss Forum
hi all,

being new to the bge forum, I've recently came across this weight-loss section which I'm interested in.
While the concept of weight-loss doesn't interest me as such, the idea of healthy-living does, and even though both are not mutually exclusive, I'm sure to find insights on healthy recipes around this parts of the forum, which is primarily what brought me here. :)

Anyway, as I said this is just a quick "g'day" (yes, I'm in Australia).. I will be looking forward to sharing some ideas and tips about cooking great, healthy things on the bge!

Comments

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Welcome, Mate.  If you're interested in "healthy" food, you'll probably want to skip most of my posts.   :))
    However, I think there's quite a few recipes here you will like, especially in the seafood area.  Also, several are very into vegetables.

I read your other recent post on a balanced diet.  It's funny how many different diets are recommended, and each has "scientific proof" that their's is the way to go.  I like what a personal trainer told me years ago.  I don't usually follow it, but it makes sense to me.  She said "eat for what you will be doing for the next few hours.  If you're going to run a marathon, stock up on carbs.  Before going to bed at night, eat protein so your muscles will recover."  Seems to make sense.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Abe Lemons said: "I don't jog, if I die I want to be sick"
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2012

I have some extra lbs to lose so I actually went to see a nutritionist.  I eat 3,300 calories a day so it's definitely a different approach than anything i've ever done in the past.  It's alot of clean food and i'm eating pretty much all day.  Chicken, fish, complex carbs and fruit make up the majority of the meals.  I haven't egged in a few weeks, but i'm down 12 pounds since the 11th so no complaints by me.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Well i eat primal/paleo.  All grassfed/non antibiotic meat from farmers.  Nothing processed with crap additives.  You can still have all the bacon and fatty meats you want (of course dont over do it) as long as they are in their natural state- no nitrates and so on- organic.. no genetically modified bs.  no sugar.  no carbs.  tons of meat which is why we bought the egg!  veggies are recommended for the carb intake and im working on that.. id rather just eat meat :)  i lost 20 lbs right away and felt great..first two weeks is the hardest.. ive hit a plateau but that is because i am bad and drink too much (=sugar)  my husband had a hard time wrapping his head around the no complex carbs thing but grains really mess up your gut..now he is a believer.   this is the only "diet" i have been able to stick with for more than a month (been 8 months now!)
  • allitnils
    I would say the concept of losing weight is simple.
    The basic formula would be:
    calories in < calories out
    In any case, the quality of calories is what will determine the quality of weight loss, and whether you'll actually change shape.
    Fact is, weight doesn't really mean much if your size is still the same..
    Which is why healthy exercise always helps.

I've heard of the primal diet and have always been curious about it .. I don't think I'd be able to follow it as strictly as it should be though.. I suppose diets like that are mostly a change in mindset more than a standard of living..

As for me, I eat mostly raw veggies and lean meats, quinoa, and fruits.. As Cazzy suggests, "clean" food, often. Once every three hours or so, to keep your metabolism active..

The "eating for what you'll be doing" sounds interesting and will possibly follow the same characteristics as eating small meals every few hours ..

Hopefully we can all swap recipes that will benefit everyone interested in following them. I can cook up a great healthy meal on the stove top, but have absolutely no idea what I'll be using the egg for, so hopefully once I get it fired up I'd have started building a repertoire of healthy meals. :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Too healthy for me-I'm in the top 3-5% of seniority of those who answered the recent ( a couple of months ago) thread about eggers and their age.  Mind you, over the past 5 years all has gone south as the many years of serious exercising (pavement pounding) has extracted a toll on the knees and I'm not yet ready for the replacements.  And I enjoy food (BGE prepared especially) and adult beverages too much to make major changes.  Only chance is to get back into the exercise routine but the obvious choice is the bicycle and that has its own challenges with the country roads and no shoulders.  Pick your poison but I do wish the knees hadn't given it up before the mind did-BGE, beer and bourbon-the 3 B's that are winners!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    edited June 2012
    @lousubcap.  I have a Book of Heroes.  Would you autograph it for me?   =D>
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited June 2012
    @lousubcap.  I have a Book of Heroes.  Would you autograph it for me?   =D>
    I am so very much not worthy by any criteria-but I would gladly bulk up on your offerings!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    According to my doctor I have perfect weight, BMI and waist measurements ... and almost was put on medications a few months back.   I was feeling great, just a regular check-up.

Problem?  Very high blood pressure (the silent killer) and pre-diabetes (we know were that goes).  The culprit?  salt and sugar.   To my surprise my doctor put me on a diet of low sodium (less then 1200mg per day, average adult eats over 3500, normal is 2400 if you are active - most rubs have > 350mg per 1/2tsp) and low sugar  and finally increase activity - instead of medicine.

Had to throw out my supply of BBQ rubs and spices which are just seasoned salt and sugar.  Walking 1 hour a day - Blood pressure has gone down and still struggling with the pre-diabetes.

Here is the video my doctor recommended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F5Sly9JQao

It sure is a struggle to cook without salt and sugar, of course it does not taste as good but the long term gain is worth it.

I did find some low sodium seasoning a few weeks back at the Toronto Eggfest - which is encouraging.

Stay healthy everyone.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • allitnils
    @EggNorth
    Kudos for your radical change!
    To be perfectly honest, I've spent the last week or so looking at youtube videos about cooking on the egg, and while the meat would look amazing once it's been cooked, every video or recipe I've seen was essentially the same:
    a big chunk of meat with copious amounts of some sort of commercial rub.

To be honest, it is all highly unappealing to me, as salt and pepper is all my beef meals will ever see.
    Perhaps add some herbs like rosemary, or thyme/sage to chicken, as well as lemon juice..
    In any case, if you do like rubs and added flavors to your meat, why not make your own?

As it is, keep active and you'll see an incredible change: physically and mentally.
    If you can make a difference naturally, the rewards are far greater than the side-effects and repercussions of medication..

Thanks for sharing the video - I'm surprised I've never seen it and will certainly pass it around.
    Sad to hear people using "time" as their excuse for not being active.
    I'm a 31 year old single dad of a 4 year old boy, working full time, on the 3rd year of my phd, and exercise at least 1 hour a day.
    I also cook all my meals and know exactly what goes in my body before I eat it..
    I suppose life is all about priorities.. And instant gratification is generally seem as more appealing by today's society.
    Alas.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

I make all my own rubs.  It's just too easy!  The wife has hypertension so sodium is an issue. Soon you'll have a list of low-sodium/low-sugar rubs you like.  Easy to store too.  Any sort of grilled chicken is "healthy" assuming it hasn't been wrapped in bacon.  I often grill lean cuts of beef like bottom round with rub and smoke.  Put it in the fridge and run it through the slicer the next day for sandwiches or cold on a plate with salad. Better than any deli.

I certainly love all the high-fat options but that's "feast food" not for a daily diet.  Plenty of healthy choices for the BGE, just think through what you're putting on.  Charcoal and smoke have no calories but make an otherwise plain meal special.

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2012