Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Rib Rub?

Options
Cullum
Cullum Posts: 215
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Who makes their own rib rub? What receipe do you like?

Comments

• OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    I like the Memphis Dust recipe on amazingribs.com.  I used it this weekend for the first time and was happy with the result.  I lightly sauced at the end and sprinkled on some more rub. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    We do! We're not looking to compete with Dizzy Dust, et al but we do like to make our own stuff just for the fun of it. Our approach is to learn about different ingredients and use what we like the most. Most rubs contain a lot of the same things. Salt, black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, red pepper, etc. Many use chili powder, cumin, paprika, etc. Then you start getting into things that are used less. The fun is in playing around with different ingredients and different mixes. And a lot depends on what you're putting it on and when. Sometimes we use a simple base of salt, black pepper, and garlic and only add one or two other ingredients and just enjoy the simplicity of say, that and toasted cumin seeds. Anyway, it's all about the journey as much as the destination.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    For ribs, I would probably go with Wild Willy's Number Onederful (something like that) from the Smoke and Spice book or Mike Mill's Magic Dust and then adjust them to your tastes.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Mike Mills Magic Dust is one of my favorites, along with his sauce which actually absorbs into the ribs instead of sitting on top.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options

I started with Cold Mountain Rub

for the Cold Mountain Rub:
    Yield: 2 cups

• 1/2 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup freshly ground black pepper
    • 1/2 cup sweet paprika

Been using it for about 2 years, and have added a few different spices here and there to come up with something more personal. 

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    For homemade rubs we start with the Memphis rub from Steven Rachlen BBQ bible, and then adjust.
    Recently picked up Playing with Fire and Smoke, and have been checking out some rub recipes in there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    edited June 2012
    Options

As earlier stated, most rubs start with similar base seasonings:

Salt, pepper, chili powder/cayenne/ground chiles, paprika, sugar, cumin

Then you get to other common seasonings:

garlic powder, onion powder, coriander seeds

Then you get to what makes people rubs their "secret recipe" and what some people call the "X" factor which can be pretty much anything but some ones that seem to be more common are:

ground ginger, nutmeg, allspice, granulated honey, fennel seeds, celery seeds, ground bay leaves, oregano etc. 

I always start with a base and adjust the ratios to find something that suits my taste.  Once you have that, start adding some other ingredients and play with that.  Then once you find a combo you really like, find a good spice source, buy as much of the spices in whole form (so you can toast and grind them yourself and play with different sized grindings to get different flavor profiles) as possible and make bigger batches to keep on hand.  I usually make enough for 3-4 cups and keep it in a mason jar.  Then you will have your own top secret rub.