Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What should it be?

jrf316jrf316 Posts: 55
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
New egger here; apx 4 weeks into it.  I think I am ready to attempt my first big chunk of meat.
Should I try Pork shoulder or Brisket?
Visca Barca
Mes Que Un Club

·

Comments

• MemphisBBQMemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    IMHO, a shoulder is easier. I know there are plenty of walk-thrus here, so look around for one that seems to fit what you like. After that you will be dialing your own method in.

·
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 551
    Boston Butt
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    how big are we talking about?
    Or is it just about low and slow?
    Pork shoulder/butt/picnic is much more forgiving than brisket.
    But, if you do want beef you can smoke a chuck roast for pulled beef.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    if you have a double rack setup, you can do them both, its the same cook
    ·
  • bvcbvc Posts: 37
    my first 'big chunk' was  a shoulder and it is a forgiving piece to work with.  I have since done 3 more, with all of those being over nighers, and one brisket.  I definitely have some techniques to work on with the brisket.  I would also add that, depending on how many people you are feeding with this and how big a piece you are doing, you can do many different recipes with the pulled pork leftovers as well.  Tacos, pizza toppings, add to ABTs...
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
    ·
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 523
    Go for the pork shoulder!image
    Edina, MN

·
  • KristinnnKristinnn Posts: 133
    @budgeezer your egg is too clean! you need to cook more!
    ·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    wow, i remember when my egg was that clean!  might be time for a burn off!

·
  • BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 523
    edited June 2012
    @budgeezer your egg is too clean! you need to cook more!
    It was my first cook on May 11th, since then we have used it 5-6 times a week.  Notice how fresh the gasket looks.
    Edina, MN

·
  • jrf316jrf316 Posts: 55
    thanks appreciate the input
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

·