Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome 1st Pulled Pork

Options
HavasuTom
HavasuTom Posts: 13
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Not quite the descriptive, mouth watering and quite impressive, novellette provided by Horseflesh...

But here is my story, a somewhat simpler version for those so inclined.

This was my first attempt at Pulled Pork on my XLBGE.  

In the Beginning
The meat was a fresh cut 7.5 pound shoulder from our local market. It was perfectly trimmed upon receipt. I slathered on plenty of yellow mustard, and 
liberally covered with Dave's Rib Rub and a sprinkling of brown sugar. It was wrapped in plastic and set in the fridge overnight.   

The Setup  
The egg was cleaned and filled with fresh The Good One lump. Chucks of Hickory were placed strategically throughout, Plate Setter legs up, foil lined drip pan, well oiled grill. Dome temp dialed in to 250 and away we went.

The Cook    
I let the meat stand at room temp while preparing the egg, it went on the grill at 47 degrees. At 6.5 hours it hit a bit of a stall, 181 degrees and stayed there for about an hour. At 11 hours 22 minutes it finally reached my target temp of 200 degrees and I pulled it. Wrapped in foil for 15 minutes while the rest of the meal was prepared. 

The Happy Ending
To me it was cooked to perfection. The crust while firm, was still edible. The meat was quite moist and tender and pulled easily with a set of forks, in fact it literally fell off the bone. Dinner was served with Stubb's Regular style BBQ sauce on fresh Hoagie buns, some fantastic slaw and baked beans.

Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your insights and knowledge. Without your ideas and expertise tonight's dinner would have been from some greasy
burger joint! 

Regards!!!    

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

Comments