Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Original New England Clam Chowder and Shrimp Spiders

Options
Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Most Texans know, from our Texas History classes, that Thaddeus P. Mitchell III (known to the drovers as Vomit), the camp cook of the Chisolm Trail cattle drive, invented the original New England Clam Chowder one night near Abilene, Texas in December, 1886.

Of course, he did not have clams, so he substituted armadillo for clams.  Celery was unheard of on the trail, so he used Prickly Pear Cactus.  Dos XX beer was uses instead of cream, and we won't talk about what was used for a carrot.  Still, it was spot on for New England Clam Chowder as we know it and the world is grateful for his contribution to the culinary arts.

So, I would like to share this recipe with my brethren up north so you can appreciate the nuances of real NECC, as we like to call it.

Rendering bacon

Finishing up

Ready to eat

Shrimp Spiders

Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @H_D-not from Texas so I missed that bit of history.  And all these years I've been fooled by those New Englanders:)  Somethin about trusting Yankees!!!  As always, the cook looks great, the photos and presentation are as good as they can get.  Thanks for the lesson :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Howdy_Doody
    Options
    Looks great!!! Thanks for sharing... How do you make the spiders?
    I did a post a couple of weeks ago and called them shrimp balls.  Since, I've improved on how I wrap them, and they look more spidery.

Click here for original post and recipe.  Next time, I'm going to add jalapeños.  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Absolutely fabulous!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    Options
    That's the craziest chowder story I've ever heard, it looks really good though.  Interested in the recipe if you'd like to share...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Howdy_Doody
    Options
    Oops.  The "raws" picture (and therefore, the recipe) didn't attach.  So, here it is.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Oops.  The "raws" picture (and therefore, the recipe) didn't attach.  So, here it is.
    Cool.  Thanks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Thanks Howdy. It's going to be about 100 for the next week or so in NC but the first cool spell that chowder will be cooked.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    As always that looks amazing, the one bad thing my wife banned cream from the house. After the Winter and all the cooks I did with cream made us do double time exercising. I felt like I was in Boot Camp again.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Great Clam chowder recipe, and fantastic looking shrimp! Much more spidery from June.
    Gonna try and talk the wife into making those but in general we try and avoid deep frying.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    love a good chowder, that fritter thing would have been sitting in it. i gotta learn to do that with the shrimp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

That is awesome. Loved the story and its got to be true. ;) I don't remember that from my Texas history class though. I might have been asleep that day.

What was the temp and the times on that?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Howdy_Doody
    Options
    @Grif.  I started it out about 350 and I closed the bottom vent.  However, at the end of the cook, since the dome was open, the temperature had risen to the point I had to take it off quickly.  

To be honest, it would be easier to cook the chowder on a stove.  
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    @Grif.  I started it out about 350 and I closed the bottom vent.  However, at the end of the cook, since the dome was open, the temperature had risen to the point I had to take it off quickly.  

To be honest, it would be easier to cook the chowder on a stove.  
    i like to do them outside on an old propane burner from an old smoker if possible, any big seafood cook for that matter, if anything just to keep the smell out of the house. just did a small batch of steamer clams in the camp three weeks back, and a week later go back up there and could still smell those clams
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Cool. I've got an old burner that I use for crawfish boils and such. Would work perfect for this. I'll have to remember it when its not 109 F in the shade.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings