Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon on the Mini

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Cooked up a couple of nice filet mignons on the Mini tonight.  Rubbed them with a combo of the Rub Co Santa Maria and Original rubs.

I went with the reverse sear method:

pulled them at an IT of 131-132 and after a brief rest:
imageimage

I enjoyed the meal.  Thanks for looking!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Now I'm hungrey... That looks awesome.
  • R2Egg2Q
    Thanks!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Nice pics, looks delicious.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • R2Egg2Q
    Thanks!

Bay Area, CA
  • Duke_sta
    Duke_sta Posts: 26
    edited June 2012
    Can you give more details of the cook? I tried trex's method and the inside was great but my egg was over 1200 degrees and the top over seared to the point it was disgusting. Help!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Well that beat my lunch. I'm hungry again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    I make that frequently on my mini. Nice crosshatch on those!
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    R2 Them look great! 
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Cook temp looks nearly perfect for my liking.  Great job.

131 it is.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Do you take the steaks off while you are heating the grill up? If so,How long do you let them rest?

Greensboro, NC
  • R2Egg2Q
    edited June 2012
    Here's some details:

I cooked the steaks indirect (raised on a Mini Woo over a drip pan) at approximately 300 degreas until IT hit the 110-115 range, I moved them to a plate & covered with foil, removed the woo ring and drip pan and fully opened up the vents.  It took the Mini about 5 mins to get up to 550+ & I seared them 1 to 1-1/2 mins per side. I was shooting for an IT of 130 to pull at. You have to be careful not to sear for too long as you can fly right by your target temp during the sear.

Thanks all for the compliments!

Bay Area, CA
  • Newportlocal
    In your mini woo did you have the drip pan on a pizza stone? Wanted to try your set up.
  • R2Egg2Q
    In your mini woo did you have the drip pan on a pizza stone? Wanted to try your set up.
    Just a drip pan by itself on this cook. I've done the stone & pan combo before on other cuts of steak and can't say I've noticed any real difference other than maybe a little longer heat up time.

Bay Area, CA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Patio's out of commission (construction project) and the egg is in the living room  :(  So I had to cook mine in a cast iron pan in the oven tonight.  I wonder how bad it would stink up the house if I put some hickory chips in the oven?  I really miss the hickory smoke flavor.
  • Duke_sta
    Here's some details:

I cooked the steaks indirect (raised on a Mini Woo over a drip pan) at approximately 300 degreas until IT hit the 110-115 range, I moved them to a plate & covered with foil, removed the woo ring and drip pan and fully opened up the vents.  It took the Mini about 5 mins to get up to 550+ & I seared them 1 to 1-1/2 mins per side. I was shooting for an IT of 130 to pull at. You have to be careful not to sear for too long as you can fly right by your target temp during the sear.

How long did you let it rest? Did you reseason during the rest?

• R2Egg2Q
    Here's some details:

How long did you let it rest? Did you reseason during the rest?

The steaks rested about 5 mins during the ramp up to searing temps and about 5 mins after searing. I dd not reseason.

Bay Area, CA
  • Newportlocal
    Just a drip pan by itself on this cook. I've done the stone & pan combo before on other cuts of steak and can't say I've noticed any real difference other than maybe a little longer heat up time.

Thanks
  • Duke_sta
    Great thanks R2. Nice cook!