Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kinders Ball Tip

Options
Smokesignals
Smokesignals Posts: 18
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tonights menu...Kinders Ball Tip from Costco cooked indirect @350 for about 1 hr then a quick reverse sear @500 baked potatoes and some pineapple sausage for the kids.

Comments

• Smokesignals
    Options
    End result. With some Bulleit for dessert
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I used to get their tri tip and ball tip, but a few times it was extremely salty. I go with just plain tri tip in cryovac from Costco, $4.99/lb, but usually $80-90 because it contains 6-8 tri tips. You know what else annoys me about Kinders? They refuse to carry sauerkraut to make rubens!!!

Haha sorry off the tangent.

Your cook looks good! I do indirect for at 400 for about 40 mins, and I haven't done a reverse sear. To do a reverse sear for a medium cut, bring it to about 120 then sear it? Does that sound right?
  • Smokesignals
    Options
    Yeah I should have done it at 120 I did it at 130 and it was a little more done then I like but still turned out good. I mostly make tri tip also but have never bought that big bag from Costco. I might have to do that on my next Costco run
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I've cooked a few of those Kinders pre-marinated ball tips the same way. We find their marinade to be a little salty for our tastes. I did a 3 way blind taste test of one of those ball tips, a choice tri tip, and a picanha for a few friends and the ball tip came in last. I stopped buying them after that. Not like it was bad or anything but it just didn't appeal as much to our tastes. Yours looks good.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA