Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Balls (4 pics)

Options
Howdy_Doody
Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
This is a great appetizer.  Make a shrimp paste, wrap it with wonton strips, and deep fry.

Put ingredients in small food processor (recipe at end of post)

Mix until a paste is formed

With wet hands, roll into balls (smaller than golf ball).  Cut strips of wonton wrappers and roll the ball in the wrappers, causing them to cling.  Next time, I'll cut the strips thinner and not wrap so tightly, so that the little fingers stick out and the final result looks more spidery.

Deep fry balls.  Sorry, no pictures of the frying, but I did fry them on the Egg.  Here, plated with crab rangoon and shrimp wontons. (made previously and frozen).  Also, a Sweet Chili Sauce for dipping.

Recipe: I found it on the internet somewhere, but couldn't find it again quickly.

1 pound Shrimp, shelled, deveined
1 teaspoon Fish Sauce, or salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Corn starch
1 Egg white, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Oil , or some pork fat
1 few dashes White pepper powder
Wonton skins
1.Defrost, shell, and devein the shrimp. Set aside. In a mini food processor, beat the egg white until frothy and then add in the raw shrimp and the seasonings. Blend until the ingredients form the shrimp paste.
2.Cut the wonton skins into tiny strips and lay them on a flat surface. Wet your hands and form the shrimp paste into balls (slightly smaller than a ping pong ball) and roll the shrimp balls onto the bed of wonton skins. Make sure that the wonton skins coat the shrimp balls evenly. Deep fry the shrimp balls in a deep fryer or wok until they turn golden brown. Dish out and serve hot with some Thai sweet chili sauce or your favorite chili sauce.
Dripping Springs, Texas

Comments