Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't suck at pizza anymore...

ChokeOnSmoke
ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've had trouble in the past ruining pizzas.
Thanks to cortguitarman for the dough recipe -- that even I couldn't burn!

Prepared the egg with plate setter legs up, then grid, then bge feet, finally pizza stone.  Tried to get as much height as possible with what I had.  Let the egg heat up completely assembled for about 40-45 minutes.  When it seemed like the egg was ready, I assembled the pizza on the peel.  Put down some flour on the peel, then the crust, finally ingredients and ready to throw on.  Didn't put anything on the stone and it worked fine, only stuck a little in one little spot on the edge.  Pulled it off in 10 minutes.  It was awesome!!

Day one pizza...(first 1/2 of dough)...

Next day, pizza number two with other half of dough...

...and the greatest picture of all...no burnt bottom!!!!!

Packerland, Wisconsin

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Good lookin pies, choke.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • trevorst
    trevorst Posts: 64
    Hate to say this, but looks a little underdone to me... May be just me but I like a nice browned cust and bubbly browned cheese topping.
  • TexAg87
    TexAg87 Posts: 22
    Nice job! I see you prepared the crust on parchment. I've learned that you can cook the pizza on the parchment, and not have to worry about putting either flour or cornmeal on your peel as many do. Once it's cooked, the pie will easily slide right off the parchment.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited June 2012
    Hate to say this, but looks a little underdone to me... May be just me but I like a nice browned cust and bubbly browned cheese topping.
    Might be right.  I've burned so many bottoms, I was just thrilled it was it wasn't hard and crunchy.  I'm on a mission now to make a perfect pizza and I'm just getting started...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited June 2012
    Good lookin pies, choke.
    Thanks, they were really good and great dough recipe.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited June 2012
    Nice job! I see you prepared the crust on parchment. I've learned that you can cook the pizza on the parchment, and not have to worry about putting either flour or cornmeal on your peel as many do. Once it's cooked, the pie will easily slide right off the parchment.
    The first one, I did on parchment, pulled it out from under the pizza after 2 minutes.  Burned the end of my finger! 
    The second pie, didn't use parchment at all and it came out just fine so I'll probably go without from now on...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2012
    I think the 45 min warmup time is over kill. On the mini I have had the stone warm up to temp for 15 min and saw no difference between that and 30min + heat up.
    Also u can brush your crust with some olive oil if u want to pretty up the pizzas, before or after u place it on the stone. Enough flour and cornmeal (and its not much) no parchment needed.
    Seattle, WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Those are some nice looking pies.
    Makes me want to try pies again.
    Can you forward that dough recipe?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    I think the 45 min warmup time is over kill. On the mini I have had the stone warm up to temp for 15 min and saw no difference between that and 30min + heat up.
    Also u can brush your crust with some olive oil if u want to pretty up the pizzas, before or after u place it on the stone. Enough flour and cornmeal (and its not much) no parchment needed.
    Noted.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited June 2012

Cortguitarman's winning recipe:

1 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. dry yeast (one of those little packages)
    3 c. flour
    1 t. olive oil
    1 T kosher salt

Add sugar to water, then sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand 5-10 min., or until yeast becomes frothy.

Pour flour and salt into mixer fitted with dough hook. (I use a kitchen aide) Add yeast mixture and mix on low until combined. Add the olive oil and continue to mix on low. Once blended, knead the dough for an additional 5-6 minutes until dough becomes smooth and elastic.

Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball. Place dough into a well oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Spray plastic wrap with cooking spray then cover and let sit for 1.5 hours.

Knead the dough again, then cut the ball in half. Roll out your pies from each ball. A rolling pin works well for this. This is where I differ from the recipe. The recipe says to divide the dough into 4 balls. This makes really small pizzas, like pita sized. 2 balls will give you a 10-12 inch pie.

Cook at 600 for about 8 minutes. I roll my pies out on parchment, then pull the parchment after 2 minutes or so. Turn the pies every 2-3 minutes using a pizza peel. I usually make 2 batches at a time. I make 2 pies for dinner, then I divide the second batch, wrap it in plastic, and put it in a freezer bag. I freeze the balls for the next time.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Thanks choke, and cortguitar
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118

Cortguitarman's winning recipe:

1 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. dry yeast (one of those little packages)
    3 c. flour
    1 t. olive oil
    1 T kosher salt

Add sugar to water, then sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand 5-10 min., or until yeast becomes frothy.

Pour flour and salt into mixer fitted with dough hook. (I use a kitchen aide) Add yeast mixture and mix on low until combined. Add the olive oil and continue to mix on low. Once blended, knead the dough for an additional 5-6 minutes until dough becomes smooth and elastic.

Turn dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball. Place dough into a well oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Spray plastic wrap with cooking spray then cover and let sit for 1.5 hours.

Knead the dough again, then cut the ball in half. Roll out your pies from each ball. A rolling pin works well for this. This is where I differ from the recipe. The recipe says to divide the dough into 4 balls. This makes really small pizzas, like pita sized. 2 balls will give you a 10-12 inch pie.

Cook at 600 for about 8 minutes. I roll my pies out on parchment, then pull the parchment after 2 minutes or so. Turn the pies every 2-3 minutes using a pizza peel. I usually make 2 batches at a time. I make 2 pies for dinner, then I divide the second batch, wrap it in plastic, and put it in a freezer bag. I freeze the balls for the next time.

One of those little yeast packages contains about 2 1/2 t of yeast.
  • noid1037
    noid1037 Posts: 33

I truly will do a pizza in the VERY near future.... I used to use the Weber as my pizza cooker when I was younger.  I used to make my own crust and I would also use store bought pizzas... I have to compete with

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/?page=locations

My wife grew up in CT and these guys OWN pizza so I have a heavy standard to bear... The crust has to be perfect and then its on... you guy shave any ideas if you have been to Pepes in CT?

BGE Large... Go get 'em! "Cant means you haven't tried."

Tulsa, OK

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited June 2012
    One of those little yeast packages contains about 2 1/2 t of yeast.
    Yeah, the recipe called for 1 teaspoon and I just went ahead and dumped the whole packet in!!!  My packet says 1/4 oz (7g) which I'm seeing all over the internet as 2.25 teaspoons.  So I guess I put in over twice as much as I should have.  Live and learn.
    Packerland, Wisconsin