Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

funny thing happened today with a meat salesmen.

BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
edited June 2012 in Off Topic
Today it is about 75 at my house which is cool enough to just open all the windows and turn a few fans on. My front door has a big 5x5 window right next to it, and is adjacent to the living room. While watching tv with window open you can be heard at front door. As I was watching BBQ pitmaster reruns on netflix I heard a "hello.. salesmen". I opened the door and said hello, the guy was a door to door salesmen for a company that sells meat and seafood. I told him I wasn't interested, he said "oh you dont bbq?", and I will be honest it was hard to keep a straight face and say no.

No, I don't BBQ, I am just watching pitmasters, a frequent member of a bbq forum, and bbq 3-4 times a week, lol. In all honestly last time I let them give speal and checked online reviews; most all were poor and not my bag to buy frozen meat from a door to door salesmen.

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    meat sold door to door; never seen that here.  Door to door is annoying.  We get a lot of save the planet fundraisers around here.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I get a lot of that here. Those guys drive by every weekend.
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    There is a location for one of these outfits about 3 miles from my house. On any given day 4-5 of them are filling their trucks up at the gas station near by. You can't fill your car up w/o one of the guys trying to sell you frozen meat from the back of the pickup with some kind of deep freeze set up. Don't buy gas on that side of town any longer. 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I had to threaten to call the police to get rid of one of these guys a few years ago...very aggressive!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Last years salesmen was very aggressive.. I have a no solicitors sign and they knocked. Then I said ok for more information, expecting a brochure, and they came out with 6 different trays of frozen meat!
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    This is no joke, it really happened to me years ago.  A man came to my door selling meat door to door.  He had several packages wrapped in butcher paper with him.  Ready for the weird part?  He only had one leg.  I politely said no thank you and closed the door, but I was scratching my head on that one.

Living Large and XL

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @lilwooty
    Ok, what are you insinuating he was selling?    :-S
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I bought meat off a guy with a truck last year. Once. And never again. Hard to see the quality of the meat when its frozen. he was nice and did help me carry in my groceries as I was just getting home from the store. But never again will I buy from a truck.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    It's the guys selling frozen meat out of the back of a pickup truck, that caused me to put up no soliciting signs at both ends of my driveway. They REALLY didn't want to take "no" for an answer!
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215

@tazcrash

He said it was beef, but put yourself in my shoes.  Wouldn't you be taken aback just a little?  A big white van parked across the street...ever get the feeling you are on Candid camera?  It was just kind of weird...just sayin.  I would never buy any kind of food from someone going door to door anyway, especially from someone I do not know but that's just me I guess. 

Living Large and XL

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

He said it was beef, but put yourself in my shoes.  Wouldn't you be taken aback just a little?  

Much more than a little.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!