Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled beef - take 2

tazcrash
tazcrash Posts: 1,852
edited June 2012 in Beef
OK, a short while back I tried to make pulled beef. And it was good, but not pull-able.
http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1140100/chuck-roast-first-pulled-beef-kinda#Item_14

Tonight is take 2. Same rub, about 3.5 lbs. cooked from 250-280 with some hickey chunks.
I put it on at 3, and it went for the first hour was on above the drip pan with lots of smoke. After one hour, I wrapped it in foil, and put it in the drip pan in case the foil ripped. I still do not want to loose any of that juicy goodness.
Here are some pics:
Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
All to get cheaper brisket! 

Comments

• tazcrash
    edited June 2012
    And another pic after 3 hours.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    And the final pull able product.
    the Mrs had to take over as I brought my folks home.
    The house mouse got the first taste.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2012
    So, how did it taste and how easily did it pull?

I do these a lot.  I don't inject and I don't foil during the cook.
    I just coat heavily with rub and throw them on and don't open the lid until they reach 205. 
    Then I check multiple spots to make sure it's at least 205 everywhere.  No problem going higher internal than that.  Take off and foil for a short time and pull.  Never had one that didn't turn out using this technique. I like to keep it simple.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrash
    I didnt eat it tonight. It was a "got time to get this cooked". It'll be dinner for tomorrow.
    The last time I injected with Stubbs chipolte butter. IMHO, it was juicer and more flavorful.
    Also there was much more Au jus, however my son thought it was too spicy, so I skipped it this time.

The Mrs isn't sure of the temp she pulled it off at, probably about 210, but it is fork-able.
    right now it's in the fridge in its own juices.
    She's happy with it, at the least I think it needs salt and/or vinegar.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Not against injecting, just never tried it.  I'll have to get myself one of those things so I can experiment someday.
    Glad it turned out...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• tazcrash
    Don't get me wrong, its good. Tomorrow I will add some sauce during warming.
    I also got my taste cold.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    OK made some potatoes and onions, with salt pepper, onion the same rub i used on the pulled beef. I liked them, but the rest of the family not so much cause of the smoke flavor. I thought it was lightly smoked. Might be from smoking EVOO.
    The Mrs made sauteed broccoli with garlic and EVOO.
    I made a pulled pork sauce, from a recipe here somewhere. The whole family loves this.
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup ketchup
    3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar.

And serves on a cheap burger bun.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • tazcrash
    Btw, just realized, I was burning the oil on the potatoes @350 dome direct. I switched it to indirect for most of the cook, and will just do indirect next time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Looks great!!